AutoDesSys

Component embedding in 8.5

jeffgrune

In previous versions, Symbols added very little to the size of any file they were placed in. In FZ 8.0, Components are embedded in the file and a scene with a lot of components increased the file size enormously because of it. 

I regularly render cases of wine on pallets, which usually consists of several hundred bottles. The file sizes on some tests I made of this with 8.0 were 200MB and higher with Components, as opposed to 2-3 MB in 6.5 with Symbols.

Does 8.5 have the option of NOT embedding the instances and allowing any edits other than universal scale and rotation on them only in the original Component source file, similar to the way Symbols are edited in 6.5? 

It was mentioned in some emails I had with tech support last winter as a possible feature or change in the way Components are handled.

Hi Jeff,

Components are still Embedded in the file, but the size of the file should be no larger than the size of the v6 file + the size of the library.  If you have a file where that is not the case, can you please send it to us so we can try to help?

I found the ability to edit a component in place to be risky if it wasn't clear whether it is only embedded or referencing an external file. What I like about Symbols is that they are not editable in place unless exploded. I like to do work on Symbols/Components separate from the file where the instances are placed.

Hi Jeff,

You should be able to right click a Component in the file and choose Edit Component to edit it -- or right click on the Component  in the Component Manager Palette, choose Open and make changes without issues.  If you find any issues, please send a sample file where this occurs and let us know specifically what you are doing so we can investigate it.  However, as far as we know that should be working properly.

If you place 10 copies of one Component that is 2 Mb and 5 copies of another component that is 5 Mb, your total file size should be a little over 2 + 5 Mb.  If those Components (or any other Materials) have Color Maps, then by default these will be saved with the file, but you can disable that via the File Menu: Project Settings: Project Info if you want.  Again, if you find a case that is different, please send it so we can take a look and comment more specifically.

I revisited this today and found file size to be reasonable. 60 components containing 12 glass bottles each -720 bottles- is a 9mb file. This was with a new file and the components were placed from the library. My previous tests were by opening a 6.5 file with a lot of symbols. Form Z converted the library and the result was large files. I was hoping to be able to open the legacy files in v8 and render them, but something was different when that method was used. One reason I wanted to use v8x was the 64-bit architecture. Several hundred glass bottles with several thousand polygons each exceeded v6.5's 2GB real memory limit at 32 bits but rendered easily in v8x.

Are the color maps actually saved in the file or is it just the reference to the image file?

Hi Jeff,

When you Open an old file and the Symbol Library is Converted, all symbols will be added to the Embedded Library.  Use the Component Manager: Purge (red whisk broom) icon to get rid of the unused ones if you want.

The textures will be embedded in the file for Shaded Work and Shaded Full display -- but the original external images are still needed for RenderZone.  If you don't want the images to be embedded, you can change that setting via the Project Settings: Project Files.

Archived