AutoDesSys

Disappearing components

martyfxad

Hi, All,

I'm using 8.0.2. I have a file, pretty simple, where I've made several simple components. I model, place components, move them around and render. I save and close the model. When I re-open it, the ground plane is still there, but the components are gone. They are listed in the object palette as ghosted, but when I un-ghost them, they don't appear. Their attributes show only the xyz coordinates. I have a smaller file with one of these components that shows up well. I've re-built the model several times, saved it under different names, but it keeps opening up "empty". 

Here's a render, and a "plan" image, and the faulty file and the OK smaller file.

Thanks for your help.

Uh-oh, I don't have permissions to upload the .fmz files

post-220-0-26678100-1439330991_thumb.jpeg

post-220-0-87704400-1439331035_thumb.jpeg

Hi Marty,

You can see the "Component Groups" but it looks like the objects in the Components have been deleted.  It looks like you have made them invisible and turned off their snapping.  Is there anything else that you may have done to delete these objects?

Well, that's the mystery. I didn't "do" anything. I created components, placed them, moved them, rendered a view and captured a couple of plan images. Then I close and save the file and they're like you find them when I re-open the file. I don't do anything different with the small .fmz file and that stays there when I re-open it. 

I do notice now that the components don't show a ghost outline when ghosted in the objects palette. The ground plane, which is a unique object in the model does show a ghost outline when ghosted.

And when I re-open this latest model, again the components are invisible, and not selectable, even though they're icon in the object palette shows them as visible.

And a new instance of a component when placed, can be ghosted (and unghosted), but doesn't show a ghost outline, while the ground plane does show it's ghost outline.

Another new model (attached) created from scratch seems to retain the components, although they still don't show their ghost outlines when ghosted.

If the problem has gone away, I'm please, it's that computer magic, but I would like to know what happened before I create a more complex model.

Thanks

Untitled2.fmz.zip

Hi Marty,

We have been running tests since we first responded to your post above and have not been able to reproduce any issues with "components disappearing" except when we delete them or the objects they contain.  If you find any way to make this happen that would be unexpected, please let us know.

We have verified that Ghosting Components does incorrectly make them invisible.  Thanks for your report, we will get that corrected.

Please let us know if you have any further questions or issues, we would be glad to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Andrea,

Thanks for sending your file.  We have found a case where this can occur, and have fixed it for v8.5, as well as the upcoming patch for 8.0.  If you work with the current 8.5, you should not encounter this issue any further.

Archived