AutoDesSys

Clipping planes, video driver crashes

Alan Cooper

My video driver is only average but cannot be updated on this 18.4 inch Acer laptop. ATI mobility radeon Hd 5850. 

Do other people suffer frequent crashes when interactively moving the plane position of a clipping plane? I can guarantee it will crash for me sometimes. I can't afford new hardware so any advice to enable me to work more reliably with what I've got would be welcome please. I do have the latest driver according to the ATI website detect and update wizard. I get the odd video card related crash at other times too but only when using FormZ.

Hi Alan,

With laptops, the video driver can sometimes be downloaded and installed directly from the web site of the manufacturer of the "video chip" but other times it is best to install the driver directly from the manufacturer of the laptop.  If you Uninstall the current video driver, download from the ACER web site, and install that driver, does that work better for you?

If not, can you please send a .FMZ file where you are having trouble so we can test with this here?

Hi Tech,

The Acer website only lists a driver from 2011. Neither Acer nor HP seem bothered with keeping graphics drivers up to date from my experience. I have the September 2014 file from the ATI website.

I tried the same file [which crashed on the Acer] on my HP laptop and had no problems so it appears that my Acer laptop has a problem or at least the video card does. I have had fairly frequent crashes from it for a long time, and as nearly always with FZ I mistakenly blamed FZ. I will need to research whether I have an individual fault or whether the laptop or video card has a weakness. I don't believe it's a heat problem as the fan is nearly new and the laptop was cleaned a bit when it was fitted. After research it seems the card itself [attached to the motherboard,] or memory could be faulty. I also suppose FZ is the most intensive program I use thus finding the breaking point. I need to think about what to do as I don't want an expensive trial and error of replacing parts until fixed, or a big repair bill come to that, especially as I can just about live with it at the moment.

Thanks Tech,

I installed the older driver from the Acer website and restarted my computer. Manipulating the clipping plane was much better to my great relief, however it did crash after a few minutes of manipulation, so possibly the card was behaving better from having had a rest and the computer restart. I expect the real reason is multiple and is a bit of each. I will enjoy this improvement anyway, thanks for your advice. If it becomes troublesome in future I will have to consider how I can improve the laptop situation.

Hi Alan,

Glad that is working better for you.  However, if you are still having any issues, please send the file and we will see if we can reproduce any issues with a similar card here.  If so, then we should be able to do something about it...

Archived