AutoDesSys

Editing V-Ray glass-like Materials

Yon

I'm wondering if anyone has advice for editing transparent materials, like the stock Water.  The preview gives you a live render, and if you edit the material, like turn Fresnel off and on, you would expect things to stay the same, but they change.  And I have no idea what has changed.  It makes it very tricky to adjust.  But maybe just me or on a Mac?

Thanks - Yon

V-Ray 5, and 9 or 10 formZ

material.jpg

Hey Yon, Guess who?

There are definitely some .VRMAT material files that import differently than they are showing in the preview for the original .VRMAT files.  I'm not sure why that is, and I've just learned to work around it.  For example when I import Water.vrmat it turns black without any transparency. -

image.png.80fdda1f84bf0be4792e0ed4fbc5bbfc.png

image.png.73541ca7bb468df7724bbcbedc02f68a.png

Regarding the Fresnel option, I don't think it makes a big enough change to see in the preview.  

Hold it 'who,' ;) What is your work around? Or you just know that water should have 'blah' transparency?  I guess more changes than just one setting, because the bump, or maybe IOR moved with Fresnel... maybe, you can't see it till you hit edit.

Who 2, out.

horton-elephant-clipart-2.png