AutoDesSys

World Units? Where do they exist...

Yon

Hello group, like the warning tags on pillows, do we need World Units?  <insert metric jokes> 

I assume it's the 'World' in the formZ manual, the other unit option with 'Screen.' I couldn't find a meaning in that manual either.

I'm trying to set up some materials, and scaling the material doesn't effect the Radius World Unit in occlusion... or any other way that it is used.

How big is a unit?  Or is there a better way to scale materials where this doesn't matter?

The World Units are mentioned in the V-Ray  formZ Manual

world-scale.jpg

Edited by Yon

Hey Yon,

I'm not sure I follow you here.  Where are you adjusting the Inner Occlusion?  Is that some sort of Sketchy render setting?  Is this the only setting you are trying to change with your material scale?

Generally speaking, you want to adjust the materials scale using the Map Texture, and Edit Texture Map tools.  

Hey Justin, it is not clear :)

I am trying to figure out how to scale materials, and keep all the effects intact.  Image maps scale fine.  None of the settings seem to scale "World Unit" effects in V-ray.  'Radius' in the example above is not scaled (how far the effect emanates from the edge).  And the Map and Edit Texture Map tools do not seem to work on the radius either. 

So yes, that sketching thing is an opacity map over occlusion. The map scales, but not the radius.  So it is hard to scale the effect.

Thanks for chiming in.

Yon

I see now.  

So in your example, you can't seem to change the scale of the Dirt effect?  

I know it's not VRay for FormZ, but since it uses the same settings in different menus, referencing VRay for Sketchup's documentation can often shed light on a problem.  Looking at the Dirt page and options, can you help me to see what FormZ is missing? - https://docs.chaos.com/display/VSKETCHUP/Dirt

Yes, that Sketchup document is a great reference.  They don't explain what a world unit is there either... although they talk about them.

Dirt clearly works for V-Ray formZ.  The effect radius can be changed in V-Ray material settings, but not by scaling the object, or scaling the material.  In other words, if the object 10 feet tall and you shrink it to 1", the world unit reference doesn't shrink too.  The texture maps will shrink, even the one's hidden in diffuse: dirt: occlusion map...

Here is the test file, not pretty.

vray dirt.fmz