AutoDesSys

How to do underlays in v8.5

Trick

In v6 I can make underlays in wireframe view by setting a background image in a certain view and save a scene state for that specific view with that specific background. This way I can define background images for each and any specific view. I even have a plugin that could interactively place/scale a background image.

In v8 there is the Billboard tool....nice.....but it does not work with wireframe display....which without question is of utmost importance.

Then there are reference plane underlays....also very nice.....but somehow saving scenes states is not supported, example: set a background for the left view and save a scene state for that view/background and set a background image for the right view and save a scene state for that view/background .....then going back to the scene state for the left view, results in the background of the right view ....so.....useless!!!

So, seeing the importance of this, I must be missing something?

(Still working lots and lots and lots faster in v6.7.3, but desperately want to make the switch to v8!!!)

Think found a better solution:

With custom reference planes I can set a background image for each specific view and save these planes in the Custom Reference Planes palette. Weird thing is that once you click a saved reference plane in that palette it does not remember the set view. Saving scene states is also not able to save the chosen Custom Reference Plane. So you have to click Look At Reference Plane after selecting the Custom Reference Plane and then select the Scene State that suits working in that reference plane again.

So please: find a way to save a specific underlay in a specific view and make it possible to save that in a scene state, otherwise mistakes are made far too easily!!

Hi Trick,

It should be easy to save a view and reference plane together using the Scenes.  Just remember to make a Scene inactive (by clicking the red dot a second time) if you want to recall the scene -- but not make any changes to it.  If you try it again, does it now work as you would like?

(If not, please create a simple file that is not working for you, save and zip it, and use the More Reply Options below to attach it to your post so we can see what else we can do to help.)

Archived