AutoDesSys

Can I draw objects using background picture and export them with the model in MatchView ?

Steve003

Hi,

having matched the imported model to the picture of the item (a lorry), and I can now see where features should go by referring to the photo, rather than draw the feature on the model in Rhino, then import it using 'add to project' see if I have it in the right place, if not, move it on the model in rhino, reimport it and keep doing so until it fits the location correctly, e.g. keep altering a fuel tank on a lorry, can I in fact use Form Z drawing tools and draw the shape, when in a matched view, and then export that along with the model back into Rhino for finalising on the more complete and complex model ?

I have yet to play with ortho viewports in FormZ, and will need them to draw objects on, then go to perspective, activate the saved view, and keep messing around as such until I have things matching the photo,

To do so, I need to have ortho views Top, front and end as well as perspective open at the same time, to see where I am working in the 3D world, I dont see a multiple view option, where is it ? example I drew a circle for cylinder base in top view but then going to side view it was not at top of vehicle but starting much lower down.

I will need to draw a line in 3 point perspective window where the matchView is operational, then project the line onto the surface, to give me a location I can then work to, how is that projection done ? (its the project command in Rhino !).

However to see the picture I need to turn off the surfaces, so I eyeball the layer palette top eyeball, now I see the photo, draw a line and move it but it is jumping about like mad to some invisible grid ? How do I make it a smooth move, in fact is there a move tool, I am using arrow tool. The blobs, can they be accurate precision cross type tools ? I look in preferences but there is nothing much there, I am surprised at how little is there.

I draw a cylinder as best I can and select it along with the model and go export but there is no rhino option, I choose dxf and it takes 5 minutes, in fact I think its frozen, I am able to open the dxf into rhino, it takes a while though, then I am unable to get the tools of Rhino to snap to the dxf shape to draw it better.

Steve003

Steve,  are you using the full version?  in it there is a Rhino Export.

I am not sure what tools the free and Jr don't have, so I will attempt to guid you as though you have all the tools needed.   ???

if understanding correctly... here it goes.

-1.   If all of your geometry is controlled there is a different process starting at #6      **  But those tools my be missing from Jr and or Free.  

I get varying degrees of success with this option.  (when works, it is more elegant)

0. After you have matched your view

1. Select the "Edit Reference Plane"  You should see it in your Tool Dock, Icon isn't very specific.    it is two Adjacent squares with two Red arrows. One Arrow is Straight  and the curved arrow is double ended.

Probably next to an icon with a plane overlaid onto a pyramid.

2. In the tool Options Palette,  click the "Align with View" button.

3. Lock the Reference Plane  (icon has a plane, Pad Lock, and a pencil on it, should be close to the ERP icon from #1)

4. If the Lock Reference Plane is turn on, you can keep snaps on...

5. Draw your projection polyline/curves.

6. (probably work with a copy of the object or objects that #3 will get projected onto, as this process will modify the object)   use the Slice Tool in the "Modify" tool palette (main tool set)

6.a   Set heal to what you want  (probably off/unchecked)

6.b   select object to be projected onto first

6.c   select the line/curve second

6.d   repeat if #3 projects over multiple objects

** #6 Alternat... use the "Project Curve Tool" in "Derive 3" Palette (main tool set)

Hope this helps

Chris Lund

Yes, there is a move tool, as well as a more universal "Transform" too.    

As far as it Jumping around,  Are there Snaps on?   Grid Snap?  some of the Geometry Snaps?

Also,  if your project resolution (Numeric Accuracy) isn't set very high, I would change that, especially if you are zoomed in tight.       the newer versions seem to use this as an underlying grid that "snaps"  that 6.x and before did not.     you can find this under ::  FIle/Project Settings/Working Units/Numeric Accuracy....    set it to something ridiculous like   1/1024"     or    1mm  (or equiv to the Data Scale of your project)

Chris Lund

Archived