AutoDesSys

What settings panorama shape pic fit display for matchview ?

Steve003

Hi,

I have an image 1007 x 367pixels and go Display>options or hit F9, import it and it gets squished to normal picture shape, stretched tall. I go display image options>custom and use resolution and these two figures, but its not fitting the full width of the display, more like 75% width, so the subject within is too small to matchView to.

What settings should I use to get the width to fit the entire display area keeping it proportional for use in MatchView ?

Steve

Hi,

Having imported the image, I go Display Options> Image Size and the panel has the radio buton blobbed as 1532x943, so I presume that is the resolution of the display area.

My image being 1007 x 367 is thus 65% of that width and measuring its size in that area I get 66% so obviously its displaying as 1007 in 1532.

I click ok and it makes my image 1532x943 so stretching it north south and fitting it east west.

I go display>image size and go custom, use my image size 1007 x 367 and select maintain proportions and it still is 66% of window size.

I retry this time using the inches and dpi option 13.986 x 5.097 inches 72dpi with maintain proportions still ticked and its still 65% width.

I need the prog to make the image proportionaly larger to fit the display width so telling it my existing width isnt doing it.

It needs a fit window width maintain proportion option. Also a fit window height maintain proportion option for portrait shaped pics. As pictures will never be the exact same size/proportion as 1532x943 its lacking in this fundamental option.

Try creating an image 1007 x 367 pixels size with a black border and draw a circle onto it and see if there is an option I can use. Ditto a tall thin one, might as well  turn that test image through 90 degrees and save it.

I seem to have exhausted all options and those it needs are not there for pictures not shaped same proportion as 1532x943.

I have had to resample my image in photoshop 1532px wide keeping proportion and its now 558px tall, save that as pic for formZ and import that, use custom size and untick maintain proportion and type in the 1532 x 558 and it now fits display width and is not stretched tall. Bingo !

The other problem faced is then that the vehicle in my image I need to match my model to is 32% of screen width. Working on it to place markers needs some form of magnification call up as whilst we can scroll zoom the model, the image cant be magnified to place markers.

I am reluctant to crop the image to just get the vehicle and resample it proportionally again in photoshop to be 1532 wide as is it not correct to use an uncropped image for this Match view function, or is that ok ?  It is normally said dont use cropped images in such commands in photogrammetry or match model to photo progs. Rhino says so for their Perspective match for example.

Is it ok to crop an image, will the command MatchView still perform ?

Steve

Hi Steve,

In the Display Menu: Image Options, just choose the Custom View Size -- and Uncheck the Maintain Proportions option.  Then you can set any size and proportion you like.

If you are editing a background image, it is OK to Crop the images -- but you should not do any distortions like skewing or stretching, as that will create an artificial view that Match View can not match.

Archived