AutoDesSys

Can't Reposition Window

HoneyDear

I am working on my first model using formZ and I've been working in it for 5 days. I finally figured out how to make a window and door component and have it cut through the walls as needed. I can't seem to place the darn thing where I want it and it WILL NOT re-position. I get the zero with a slash icon. I can't figure it out. I'm fried and wondering why I'm trying to learn a new program at this point. Any help is appreciated. I can send the model, if it helps.

I'm sure there are 100 other things wrong with the way I've started the model, but if I could just get the window to move I would call today a success.

Hi HoneyDear,

Welcome to the forum!

The first thing to check is whether using the included windows and doors is working properly for you or not. Test using the predefined windows.  If these are working as expected, but yours are not, carefully compare your Window to the ones that have been included.  Note especially the layers used, and the location of  the origin of the Component in relation to the objects that make up the Component.

Also, Right Click on the Create / Reposition Window / Door tools and choose Video, and Manual.  This will give many useful details about how these work.  If you have reviewed this information and are still having issues, please let us know if it is with all Windows, or only with yours -- and if it is only with yours, make a simple file that shows the issue, save, zip it, and use the More Reply Options at the lower right to post it so we can take a look -- and help further (if necessary).   ;)

I think it was something wrong, although I still can't figure it out, with my component. The sample components worked fine. I had gone through all the steps you listed late last night and decided to build, yet another, window to see if I could get it to work. I did finally get it! There is still one small issue with what's happening on the interior of the wall. If you wouldn't mind taking a look at that, I would greatly appreciate it. I am trying not to learn any "bad habits". So I would like to start out with a window that is built correctly. File is attached.

!window -fixed -3-0x4-6.zip

Hi HoneyDear,

We are not having any problems with this window -- placing, repositioning, or repositioning copies:

post-5-0-50177100-1460727896_thumb.jpg

What exactly is not working for you?

If you are wanting your "Interior Trim" to be on the inside of the wall, you need to put it on the correct Layer:

post-5-0-36841900-1460728255_thumb.jpg  post-5-0-04163300-1460728255_thumb.jpg 

(Compare the layer highlighted in red for yours with the ones that are included with formZ.)  

Is that what you needed?

Thanks! I was able to build another window (the one I attached) and get it to move late last night after I posted. I see now where I made the mistake on labeling the interior trim. Thank you so much for your help! Now maybe I can get this model finished today.  :)

One more question on repositioning a window or door. Is there a way to pick a point on the component and move it from that point snapped to a x,y,z reference? Does that make sense. Right now it just all willy nilly and I can't place it EXACTLY where I want it.

In other words, I currently can't pick a point on the window and yet i have the snap tools on. Do you experience the same thing with the component I attached previously? I'm sure it's just a setting I'm missing somewhere.

Hi HD,

The Reposition Window / Door is not currently snapping for some reason.  We will see if that can be adjusted for the future.  Perhaps the easiest way to place a window in an exact location is to create a temporary object and snap to that when Placing the window in the first place.  For example, if you use the Line tool (in 2d mode) to draw from the desired reference location:

post-5-0-76219700-1460733134_thumb.jpg

(You can then enter the desired Distance and Angle -- or if you change the Input Mode to Plane Delta, you can type in the desired X and Y distances.)

post-5-0-40195800-1460733134_thumb.jpg

Then just Snap to the end of that line to place the Window where you like.  Does that help?

Archived