AutoDesSys

Reconstructing smooth object after axial sweep

kmwhitt

I am following along with the Discover formZ Part 1 video to learn some of the new tools (coming directly from V6.6).  The instructor shows the "bench" being reconstructed (after creation by axial sweep) by moving a single segment upwards (1st image).  When I try doing the same in 8.5.3 the object appears to convert into a nurbz object (2nd image).  How do I get a similar result?  I realize this video was created using V7, but has it changed that much?  Thanks, Kevin.

PS - Previous complaints aside, I am actually enjoying these newer versions (7 and up) now that I've had time to dive in.  The tools are so much easier to use as there aren't nearly as many steps - very fast.  Although, I am having some difficulties as it appears I lose the ability to undo quite often.

post-10687-0-90334800-1455552031_thumb.jpg

post-10687-0-94190200-1455552039_thumb.jpg

Hi Kevin,

This is working fine for us wit 8.5.3 when we try something similar:

post-5-0-65054600-1455554476_thumb.jpg

If you try with our file, does that work for you?

sweep.zip

You are using the standard Smooth Sweep (and not NURBS Control Points, right)?  If that's not it, and if ours works, but yours does not, can you post your file so we can take a look?

I do have a somewhat related question.  When sweeping with centroid alignment like he does in the video, how do I rotate the source shape around the Z axis so that the seating area is on the right side?  The rotate controls only work around the Y axis - see image attached.  Thanks.

post-10687-0-91222500-1455556923_thumb.jpg

Got it.  I sure will miss the sweep edit dialog box.

While on the subject -

After moving the segment upwards, when viewed from the top, the object is now no longer planar - see attachment.  The end caps never were to begin with no matter where I position the source in relation to the path.  To make the end caps align accurately, do you recommend sweeping a full circle and then boolean difference?  If not, how can I achieve this from the start?

post-10687-0-53971300-1455561463_thumb.jpg

Hi Kevin,

When we move the segment on our sweep upwards, it does not have a slanted vertical edge.  If you would like us to comment on your geometry, you will need to post your file (if it is different from ours).  And regarding the end caps, yes, sweeping beyond 180 and cutting it would be one technique that you could use to get the end caps flat / straight...

Archived