AutoDesSys

material palette size

rich f

Is there any chance the interface could be adjusted to allow the material palette to get narrower?

Coming from 6.7 my material palettes are generally organized nicely to work on a 4x wide grid.

Minimum allowable on the small icon size is now 7x wide.

(yes I could switch to large icons to get 4x but I don't care for the large layout.)

It seems the only thing preventing it getting narrower are the buttons at the top, and those functions (list,small, large) are all superfluous  as they can be accessed by right clicking. Thus if the palette were allowed to collapse and hide those you don't really loose anything. Or at a certain width they could shift to move under the group selection pulldown.

I don't know if/when there are any plans to revisit the interface in general, but I would really like to see some return to the clean/tight compact simplicity of the older black and white icons.

I'd also like to chime in with regards to the interface scalability. I'm finding the material palette's icons are either very large, or very tiny... there's no ability to scale them in between. Working on a couple of differently scaled monitors, it would be nice to have a little more choice in the matter.

This may be in the works for a future version, but I've also noticed that if I need to delete a series of materials, the only way to do it in one swoop (sort of) is to switch to the list display which allows me to select multiple materials... It would be great if I could achieve this with a modifier key in the tile view as well.

Last comment, I do like the ability to nest textures as groups... but I am finding the option to be a little unintuitive. It would be great if a little like Photoshop's layer groups, I could simply toggle down an arrow to access my nested maps and if creating said groups was as simple as hitting a button on the palette to create a folder. Right now I suspect many are not using this great innovation simply because it is hard to navigate.

Thanks!

Archived