AutoDesSys

V-Ray 5.1 Color Bleeding Problem

Hi All,

I'm using an orange carpet material for the floor of my scene as seen in the attached image and when I render it the orange from the carpet is seen on my white walls. After viewing some you tube clips with the same problem but using SketchUp, I found the users could create a material and select a Method called Override but I cant see that in my V-Ray ver 5.1.1.0 Build 1704.  Does anyone have a solution to this or a work around. Cheers

image.jpeg

Posted (edited)

Hello,

I feel your pain.  Designing for trade shows and live events often means bright colored carpets and white walls, and it is a pain to get it to look right.  As far as I know, we are missing a true Override material Method in V-Ray for FormZ, even the latest v6 I am working with here.  We really need the GI Material Override.

You are essentially looking for these options right?

https://docs.chaos.com/display/VSKETCHUP/Override

The only workaround I can offer is to use the limited material Override options we do currently have which is Generate GI and Receive GI.  Turning them down to .1 for the white wall material can give a more pleasing result along with a few other changes to the white wall material.

Before with the color bleed:

image.thumb.png.cd516df08a0db182615a6bb1fd202d5d.png

After using the Override settings and white wall material settings:

image.thumb.png.91c3a141d0b02708b265a81193f93883.png

image.png.fe497689164b5a0c41bf08e325325dc5.png

You may want to adjust your other lighting AFTER you get this setup as it will be darker without all the white to bounce light around.

Hope this helps!

Edited by Justin Montoya

Crap, I missed my EDITING post time limit.  Why is it so short?!  Anyway, here's an updated post, please ignore the one above!

Hello,

I feel your pain.  Designing for trade shows and live events often means bright colored carpets and white walls, and it is a pain to get it to look right.  As far as I know, we are missing a true Override material Method in V-Ray for FormZ, even the latest v6 I am working with here.  We really need the GI Material Override setting but you can make it work without it.

You are essentially looking for these options right?

https://docs.chaos.com/display/VSKETCHUP/Override

The workaround I can offer is to use the Override Object Properties in the Material Parameters which is Generate GI and Receive GI amounts.  

Before with the color bleed:

image.thumb.png.cd516df08a0db182615a6bb1fd202d5d.png

EDIT (removed the white wall material editing in favor of just adjusting the carpet GI):

If you just turn off the Generate GI affect (0) on the carpet material, you can likely leave the white walls and other materials it affects alone:

image.thumb.png.2248e67b90e546b906a942194fd59963.png

Hope this helps!