AutoDesSys

Set Topological "Pick" Level Globally?

Hello -

Is it possible to set the topological "pick" level globally?

For example: if I want to round several faces in my project, I need to:

1. Select the "Pick" tool and set it to "Topological Level: Face"

2. Pick the face I want to round.

3. Select the "Round" tool and click.

4. Select the "Pick" tool again.

5. Pick the next face to round.

6. Etc.

In older versions of Form Z, it was possible to set the "global pick level" to "Face" and then select a face to round *using the "Round" tool* and clicking *once* to execute the operation...so it takes *three* clicks (requiring two different tools) now where it used to require only *one.* Is the old method still accessible? I gotta say...my wrist is starting to get tired from all the additional clicking and tool-changing.  Please advise.

JG

• 3 weeks later...
Posted (edited)

I'm not following you.  Maybe it's the standard 'Round' tool you are using.  I never use the standard Round tool anymore.

Using the 'Controlled Rounding' tool, you never have to go back to the Pick tool or mess with the Topo level.  It automatically gives you choices as you hover over the object to round.  Here my cursor is over this face to round:

image.thumb.png.adf51e856c143dc78d7c8da8b266e67f.png

Click and it rounds all the face edges:

image.png.3c0330bbd4ed53cd2955ff4ee1f3d7e6.png

The same if I hover over a single edge:

image.thumb.png.0297819c9215db03558d9eea4ba01d72.png

Click to round edge:

image.thumb.png.e5a8f1b76355d7ae2f587b29dac2486c.png

Edited by Justin Montoya

Hi Justin -

Thanks...but the question I was asking was: "Is there a way to avoid having to set the topological level with the Pick tool for every single operation?"

In older versions of Form Z, it was possible to set the pick level globally-- so the old way was (for example):

1. Set the global Pick level  it to "segment"

2. Click on a segment with the Round tool...it will round that segment.

3. Click on another segment with the Round tool...that segment will be rounded.

Etc.

The way it is in the current version:

1. Select a segment with the Pick tool set to "segment."

2. Select the Round tool and click to round the segment. At that point the topological selection level returns to "Object"--so:

3. Go BACK to the Pick tool and pick another segment.

4. Select the Round tool and click to round the segment. Again, at that point the topological selection level returns to "Object"--so one needs to:

5. Go BACK to the Pick tool and pick another segment.

6. Select the Round tool and click to round the segment. Once more, the topological selection level has returned to "Object"...

Etc.

There's a LOT of tool-switching involved that was unnecessary in earlier versions. Is there any way to get back the earlier behavior?

Ugh, I've been sort of stupid.  The behavior I want is in the Plain Rounding tool.  I'm going to leave the thread as it was in case anyone else has the same question.