AutoDesSys

Disappearing parts

eyeclick

Last night I was working on two boxes, each with four vertical posts, four cross beams and four front to back beams.  I had everything in their corresponding layers.  I closed it for the night since the display slows down the longer I work on a drawing.  This morning I open it up and most of the parts are missing.  This was not the state I left it in last night.  I've opened all the backup versions I have going back a few days, but they are the same.  I am hoping that this is just some display setting that I can't track down, but all my layers are visible.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I am on the trial version of FormZ.  I have Bonzai3D. 

I'm apparently not allowed to upload this kind of file on this forum, so I posted it here:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=05336815463914301496

Hi Eyeclick,

Welcome to the forum.  If you zip a small file, you should be able to upload it directly to the forum.

Sorry you are having trouble.  Here's what we see with your file:

post-5-0-00245200-1474838774_thumb.jpg

We don't see anything else.  What version of formZ are you using, and on which operating system?

Hello Mod,

I will zip the file next time.  I forgot about that with the old forum.

That is what I see too, which is the problem.  There were two complete box frames there last night, and in the previous saves.  When I copy items from one to another, I will sometimes Isolate other objects, but I have made sure to Reveal Objects.  This should not affect all the autosaves and manual saves previous to this though.  Those cross pieces you see (reddish) were in two different layers and the Posts and Front To Back pieces were in there own.  Two out of four posts are showing in the LOS-Posts layer and all the other layers are now empty.

I'm using formZ 8.5.4 on Windows 10.

I was going to start a new thread saying I'm having problems reshaping the little green face through the end of the purple piececabinets.zip

post-20250-0-51632600-1474855796_thumb.jpg

I created a new piece and was able to reshape, so it must be some component confusion. Is there some training for all the little gotchas?  The company videos show Matthew drawing a box and pushing it through.  Works every time.  I pick a face and try and reshape with Keep Lines off and the lines and solids are still there.

I got a strange memory error. post-20250-0-05014000-1474855918_thumb.jpg when using the line tool.  I just ignored it as half my memory was free.  There was a drawn box that I could not select or delete from any angle.  post-20250-0-82068000-1474856042_thumb.jpg

However, I saved the file, closed and reopened (was able to delete the unselectable lines), but half the geometry has again vanished.  This program is unusable for me and I'm sure it must only be me because everyone would be up in arms if half their drawing kept disappearing.  It sucks that I have to go back to Sketchup, but I have to build these cabinets tomorrow.

Hi Eyeclick,

We are not reproducing what you report.  Does anyone else reproduce this?

It looks like you may have a corrupted installation.  Please download the current installers from here:

http://www.formz.com/products/formz/update/formz_85_Pro.html

Then Uninstall the current version from the Programs Control Panel, Disable Virus Detection, and install the version you just downloaded.

Does that fix it for you?

Hi Eyeclick,

Sure, just get the Explode Component tool, select any (or all) components, and click in the screen to convert them to normal objects.

If you repeat your steps, can you repeat the issue?  If so, can you post the file and the steps so we can test it here to see if we should trouble-shoot the file, or trouble shoot your computer and formZ installation?

Hi Tech,

Sorry for the late reply, the internet was down at work. 

When I try the Explode tool, I get an "ID = S.25 The Ungroup and Dismantle tools require the selection of at least one group." Error.  Once I unchecked Unlock Components, then I was able to explode it.  Thank you.

I got a lot farther today by starting over and not using components other than the sink I dragged in.  I think all four crashes today were trying to edit that.  At the moment I can't reshape anything on it.  I tried drawing a rectangle with insert on, but I can't reshape or even select that.  Sorry, close the file, reopen and I can manipulate the square on the sink.  Even after exploding the sink, I can not manipulate it. 

cabinett0215_9-26-2016_2.30.04 PM.Copy.fmz.zip.zip

Hi Eyeclick,

The Reshape process is handled by "live Boolean operations" that can be sensitive to bad data in the geometry (which you can find with the Object Doctor).  If you have a case where this is not working as desired, try using the Derivative Extrusion tool to extrude the face, and then Union or Difference it from the object as a separate step.  If that is not working either, then the geometry would need to be fixed, or the part modified by moving parts, or some other technique...

Archived