AutoDesSys

DXF Export issues

Hi Experts,

I've been trying to export items of a 3D design file to a metal laser fabricator for cutting (who require obviously only 2D info).

The fabricator can't read my .dxf files (or .dwg).

I can't find an specific information in the manual as to what all the options in the "dxf export" window do and I've tried a lot of variations (and I mean a lot!)

Does anyone have any information about this or perhaps a workflow description that they know functions?

I've sent a test file to them from a drawing out of Form Z Draft and they can read this OK.

Any help would be much appreciated (as I'm beginning to suspect that the problem is not me).

First line of attack: does the DXF open OK in another app? Can you re-import it to Form Z correctly? Does the fabricator accept other file formats (I'm guessing "no," but I just thought I'd ask.) Please advise.

Hi Jim_G,

The dxf opens in the fabricators app but info is missing (my reference & orientation square / triangle shows, but nothing else).

I can re-import it into Form Z again OK.

The fabricator will accept dwg as well (most do, as it is a standard AutoCad format) and some others which I am not familiar with (STEP?) and can't export that anyway.

A dxf file exported straight from Form Z Draft can be read OK.

I had some success today but I'm just waiting for one last communication to see if I can track down the problem (i.e. is it me or does Form Z modeling have a problem?)

I can't really find any detail in the manual about all aspects of the "dxf export options" window.

I also went through a frustrating export process a while back.

If export to my CNC programming software it requires different setting to exporting for the company that does my laser cutting. 

I found setting to version 2007 solved it in one instance, forget which though.

Replied Andrew

@Thommo - My guess is it's just a matter of trying various converters until something works.  There are a number of online file-translator apps (Google to find them) and you might (for example) be able to export an OBJ from Form Z and then convert that to a DXF using another app. That said: Form Z DOES export STEP files (screen cap attached) and has for at least ten years. Is it not working for you?

Screenshot 2024-07-23 at 7.50.17 AM.png

Hi Jim_G,

I've never used STEP files so I know nothing about them.

I will send a test file to the fabricators tomorrow.

To be honest I didn't even see it in the export list as you pictured (probably because I wasn't looking for it).

I have found a work around.

At this point in time, until someone convinces me otherwise, I'll say that the DXF export function in Form Z V10 Modeling doesn't work.

My work around ( a rough summary)

"Derive the face" of the object that I want to export.

Import this object into Form Z Draft.

Export this as a DXF.