AutoDesSys

Rendering Tiles

Xtrudio

Hello,

I am looking for a method of splitting a view into tiles for RenderZone rendering. When I try to render the model in one piece FormZ 7.3 stalls. The file is 124MB. There are no textures, no super sampling, no ambient occlusion, just the most basic render.

I tried the "image divider" extension but I was not able to make it work properly. I also searched the forum, new and old, for the same topic but didn't find anything.

Thanks,

Horia

post-398-0-59775400-1415800887_thumb.png

Hi Horia,

If checking your shadow settings  for your lights does not allow you to determine the solution, please send the file so we can help.  If the file is too big to email, you can use any of the internet delivery services like www.dropbox.com, or you can upload it to our FTP site:

name = dropbox
password = i8ugdl

If you have trouble logging in to the FTP site, please use a specific FTP client, such as FileZilla (Mac or Windows):  

If you do upload it to our FTP, please send us an email reply once the upload is complete and let us know the name of the file you have uploaded so we know to check it, and let us know if you have any further questions.

Hi Horia,

Yes, unfortunately there is tons of bad data in the file.  Here's a check on just a small part:

post-5-0-85054000-1415828079_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-49078000-1415828080_thumb.jpg

Rendering this all at once is exceeding the 4 GB Ram limit for formZ v7, and is causing redraw problems for v8.  We are working on correcting the redraw problems, but if you can use the Object Doctor to repair some of this data, then you should be able to get it to render in v7, or open in v8.  Be patient though -- you don't want to try to fix everything all at once.  With this amount of bad data, you will likely get better / faster results if you do it in 5 - 10 separate pieces (perhaps doing a few layers at a time, and saving in between).  

The Object Doctor usually helps out a lot, but it is possible that something may be fixed "not to your liking" -- so it is also a good idea to Save As to a new file name before fixing, so you can always restore an "unfixed" part if necessary.

Does that help?

Yes, thank you very much.

Is there a way to isolate the bad objects in order to fix them up? If on the Object Doctor palette I check "Add to selection" then copy and paste, I only have parts of objects, segments and faces.

Funny thing is, I used the doctor with "fix if possible" option until everything was 0, both under general and facetted tabs. And I assumed that all objects had proper geometry.

I am working on this model for 3D printing, so it looks like it's a long way...Any advice will be greatly appreciated.

Horia

Hi Horia,

When running the Object Doctor tool with the Fix option, only those items that have been fixed will be displayed in the results.  You need to run the Doctor again with the Add to Selection option to see what problems still exist.

There are so many problems with the geometry in this file that it looks like a majority of the objects were created in SketchUp, which is notorious for generating bad geometry which can not be 3d printed or used for many other purposes that require quality geometry.  (This is one reason we have so many former SketchUp users now using bonzai3d, formZ Jr, and formZ Pro!)

After fixing everything in your file, we ran a quick check on a small part, and you can see the highlighted areas of problems:

post-5-0-28151000-1415886975_thumb.jpg

post-5-0-14699300-1415886976_thumb.jpg

The Colinear Segments are generally not problems and won't prevent 3d printing, but the quantity of Irregular Face Boundaries and Intersecting faces will require a lot of manual surgery to the geometry -- or just remodeling those objects (which will probably be easier for many of the cases).

Finally, 3d Printing requires solids, and if you use the Select By Criteria Palette to select the Surfaces in the file, you will see that there are a lot that need to be fixed for that reason as well:

post-5-0-55894500-1415887184_thumb.jpg

Good luck with your project!

Archived