AutoDesSys

FZ Tutorial videos

CJTFORM-Z

To all,

Although quite old, I just found this video (NOVEDGE webinar) by Evan Troxel that is quite long, but thought useful to share on this forum, link below:-

I posted a message to FZ-HQ a long time ago on this forum posing a question if FZ-HQ could perhaps have these videos to share/buy with Evan Troxel permission from his website !

https://getmethod.teachable.com/p/formz-fundamentals

However, I do see FZ's website has this as a training link & one can pay for these training videos, but as now very old, not too sure if Evan Troxel is still running this or if he gets many FZ newbies signing up for these courses. If he does, that's great & good to see he can earn some fees in that regard. In any event, I'm sure FZ-HQ & Evan Troxel could assist the wider FZ community, perhaps some new content based on FZ's current version or even a discount for these older video courses ! Just thinking outload again on this subject.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi CJ, Thanks for the prodding.

Wow that Novedge video is a blast from the past! 

The major interface rewrite at v7 is still very similar to v9, and because the lessons are all about the fundamentals for modeling in Form•Z the course is still offered because it still applies.

I'm happy to continue to offer this as long as people are finding value in it. 

Hi Evan,

No prob's and yes, the 8 year old Novedge video was a chance find when I was checking the World Wide Web to see if anyone was making any new-ish FZ tutorial videos, so, thanks for clarifying this matter, its much appreciated. I was also watching your YOUTUBE Methodcast Quickie videos which were equally as old, but all very interesting none the same given similar 3D Modelling (manual + parametric) programmes (SU-manual) as of today, haven't really advanced that much, apart from true 3D+CAD+BIM programmes such as ArchLine-XP-Pro & ArchiCad etc. 

It suggests new & learned FZ users maybe still finding your Form.Z Fundamental tutorial videos (5 years old) helpful ! 

I think its valuable for new & learned FZ-architectural users to see video tutorials by Architects such as yourself being demonstrated as its more real world & in the same mind-set. If you ever get a chance to make anymore for FZ.ver9 & Layout, that would be great to see, even shorter YOUTUBE Methodcast Quickie videos.

Thanks again.

• 8 months later...

Hi all,

Happy Cyber Monday! 

If you are interested in high quality FormZ digital video-based training, I’m offering the course for 50% off starting today for a week. After purchase you will receive a download link so you will have all of the videos at your disposal for unlimited use.

https://www.trxl.co/formz-fundalmentals-sale/

Happy modeling,

Evan

Hi Evan,
I'm tempted & wondered if this would also help FZ lurkers like me who were fascinated with the FZ free tutorials by Matthew Holewinski back in the day, but never purchased the product & slipped into the SketchUP path instead. Do you think your tutorials would also be relevant with Form-Z Free as a stepping stone direction ?

Over & out,
Clayton.

Hi Clayton,

Many of the fundamentals I cover in the course apply to the free version as well. It’s been a while since I looked at that version (AutoDesSys even uses my image for the button to go to the free version on their homepage!) but I think you would benefit from the geometry creation (topology tools, etc) and file management (layers, objects, views, etc) portion of the training which is shared across products, and likely more. You can see the entire course outline on the page I linked to above, which may help. 

I can't speak to FormZ Free, but I can tell you I enjoyed and got a lot out of Evan's videos.

I've been using FormZ for 27 years. Crazy, right? And while a lot of the material was things I do everyday, there were nuggets here and there that made the course worth it, especially when it came to tools I rarely (or never) thought I had a use for.

The current cyber-week pricing is a steal!

On 11/27/2023 at 10:34 PM, etroxel said:

Hi Clayton,

Many of the fundamentals I cover in the course apply to the free version as well. It’s been a while since I looked at that version (AutoDesSys even uses my image for the button to go to the free version on their homepage!) but I think you would benefit from the geometry creation (topology tools, etc) and file management (layers, objects, views, etc) portion of the training which is shared across products, and likely more. You can see the entire course outline on the page I linked to above, which may help. 

Thanks for the update Evan, I was wondering, do you have any future plans to make more tutorials to cover any new items with FZ ver.9.0 ? Their updated Form•Z Draft Layout is a key item for producing the final plan extracts on drawing sheets for my use, but not seen any company tutorials in this regard. 

A PayPal method would also be nice to see as they have flexible pay-in-three options etc.

59 minutes ago, etroxel said:

More training really depends on the interest level of formZ users... creating a course is a big undertaking. I do have lots of ideas! And I’d probably focus on v10 should I decide to move forward. 

I’ve added a Paypal button to the site! Thanks for asking.

Hi Evan, that's interesting & yes, Form•Z ver. 10.0 is looming I think. I've never been too sure how many users Form•Z has an audience with, especially my discipline in architectural design & has become very much under the radar so to speak since AutoDesSys HQ ceased making those brilliant YOUTUBE free tutorials with the great Matthew Holewinski back in the day.

I acknowledge a lot of effort must be put into your tutorial courses & that I'm sure is appreciated by Form•Z architectural users, as dare I say it, there isn't anyone else that I can find doing this currently. I wasn't necessarily thinking about a full blown course, but some leaner updated material to cover any "whats-new" items since your tutorials, such as the UI & Draft Layout etc.

Anyway, thanks for adding the PAYPAL button of payment, that might have just tipped the balance in making a purchase....,👍   

I agree that the team should be providing some free videos, especially for the ‘what’s new’ category coming in v10. It’s potentially a big job for a small team.

As we all know, form•Z, like other tools it’s competing against, is a general purpose modeler. When it specifically pertains to one vertical I don’t think they could ever provide the depth necessary because of the lack of domain expertise. Depth is one (pretty big) part of what is necessary for a tool to truly stick in a user’s toolbox. 

I’ll also put it out there that there are 2 days left for my 50% off sale. Learn more here. Happy modeling!

On 12/2/2023 at 7:15 PM, etroxel said:

I agree that the team should be providing some free videos, especially for the ‘what’s new’ category coming in v10. It’s potentially a big job for a small team.

As we all know, form•Z, like other tools it’s competing against, is a general purpose modeler. When it specifically pertains to one vertical I don’t think they could ever provide the depth necessary because of the lack of domain expertise. Depth is one (pretty big) part of what is necessary for a tool to truly stick in a user’s toolbox. 

I’ll also put it out there that there are 2 days left for my 50% off sale. Learn more here. Happy modeling!

I just wanted to share with all that I did purchase Evan's tutorials in an effort to tease me in looking at Form•Z for my architectural works. Who know's, I may progress from Form•Z-free to Form•Z-jr or Pro in the not to distant future !

Thanks again Evan & hope your CYBER sale was a success to consider further tutorials when ver.10 is released not to mention the PowerCADD 2D drawing tool. 👍

To all,

Although the AutoDesSys YOUTUBE free tutorials by Matthew Holewinski back in the day are impressive, the Form.Z Fundamental tutorial videos by Evan Troxel that I recently purchased covers most tools in a structured step by step concise format. I didn't realise the depth & extent of the tool functions & this is a great help for any new user of Form•Z & certainly makes it less daunting. I think there are 160 approx. videos of around 10-gigabytes, so a lot of help & learning that will ease anyone into Form•Z.

Compared to my SU software programme (with-out extensions), that I use now & then for my Architectural projects, Form•Z certainly appears to have better control of any type of modeling in comparison. I'm now feeling more confident in Form•Z & this is only from seeing the first 60 videos. ☺️

10 hours ago, CJTFORM-Z said:

To all,

Although the AutoDesSys YOUTUBE free tutorials by Matthew Holewinski back in the day are impressive, the Form.Z Fundamental tutorial videos by Evan Troxel that I recently purchased covers most tools in a structured step by step concise format. I didn't realise the depth & extent of the tool functions & this is a great help for any new user of Form•Z & certainly makes it less daunting. I think there are 160 approx. videos of around 10-gigabytes, so a lot of help & learning that will ease anyone into Form•Z.

Compared to my SU software programme (with-out extensions), that I use now & then for my Architectural projects, Form•Z certainly appears to have better control of any type of modeling in comparison. I'm now feeling more confident in Form•Z & this is only from seeing the first 60 videos. ☺️

Congrats on diving deeper into the FZ world.  I think you hit the nail on the head.  formZ is indeed much more powerful than SU out of the box.  The way it handles solids automatically is much more efficient than SU's way of requiring constant grouping of surfaces.  Furthermore, the smooth modeling tools make it so much cleaner of a modeling tool.  I'm not going to lie, there are things I think SU does really well, but it still can not replace the power and simplicity of formZ.

Hi Evan,

Yes, still going through the vast amount of videos in your Form.Z Fundamental course. I note in several of these videos (I'm at Module 3), you mention some tutorials on Organic modelling if I recall. Are these included in this course, or another, please clarify.

37 minutes ago, etroxel said:

At the time I was planning ahead on making that course but the demand for it was never really there, so it’s still in my drafts at this point.

Hi Evan,

Thanks for clarifying. AutoDesSys with their Form•Z should be as popular as SU & more so with the architectural community in my opinion. It's still a mystery to me why not, but AutoDesSys still seem to battle on & come up with some intriguing ideas such as the PowerCADD 2D drawing tool project that has us all guessing what this will bring to their CAD armoury. 

Form•Z ver10 apparently is due to be released soon from what I've read & a good opportunity for AutoDesSys to shout a little louder about it with some strategic social media advertising which is relatively easy & cost effective to achieve these days. I think the demand is there, but the audience need to be better informed of the product.  

4 hours ago, CJTFORM-Z said:

Form•Z ver10 apparently is due to be released soon from what I've read & a good opportunity for AutoDesSys to shout a little louder about it with some strategic social media advertising which is relatively easy & cost effective to achieve these days. I think the demand is there, but the audience need to be better informed of the product.  

Unfortunately, it's a question of standards, which is why well established companies, as well as most newcomers, tend to stick to offerings by Adobe and Autodesk. Form.Z may well be superior, but mediocrity rules.

28 minutes ago, santa said:

Unfortunately, it's a question of standards, which is why well established companies, as well as most newcomers, tend to stick to offerings by Adobe and Autodesk. Form.Z may well be superior, but mediocrity rules.

Hi Santa, 
It's an interesting thought but I'm sure there are discerning potential customers out there that don't even know Form•Z exists. Specifically, one would have to recognise similar comparable 3D Modelling products, such as SketchUP, Blender & Rhino etc. 

This is an interesting topic.

I feel we could really use a couple of higher energy YouTube personas to create some nice modern formZ videos.  Maybe there's some people already out there with CAD review videos that could be approached and given formZ if they agree to make some formZ videos??

One person that simply shows a typical workflow using formZ in developing concept architecture, a subdivision modeling project like product design,  another for furniture design, etc. 

The other person could show a close comparison with SketchUp, highlighting how many more tools are included in formZ without needing dozens of plugins like SketchUp which really drive up the cost.  These plugins also tend to be less user friendly because they don't feel very integrated, often requiring confusing pop up windows to input details.  formZ by comparison is much more powerful out of the box.  Of course there are a couple of things that could be improved for greater usability like the instancing with Components and V-Ray lights, and the Layout documentation but I am hoping that is coming in the near future with the PowerCADD 10 project.

I'm forced to use a variety of 3D packages these days and I still vastly prefer formZ for most things.  I hope it can continue to evolve and grow so that its popularity rises and we can see bigger development growth as well.  

I'd be keen to hear what you all think?

Hi Justin,

I currently use several CAD programmes myself for my Architectural work in the UK being self employed in that field. It would be interesting to learn the type of market in rough percentage terms Form•Z attracts with regards to professional disciplines. From what I understand with SU, the Architectural/construction sector is perhaps the larger user base & may be (could be) the same for Form•Z.

It would certainly be a positive direction if AutoDesSys could get inspired to look into this again & from an Architectural stand point, I've certainly been inspired by Evan Troxel's  Form•Z videos to seriously consider adding Form•Z to my CAD tool box. I think any keen like minded Architectural person who use's CAD would be in tune to how Evan presents these videos & the Novedge one at the top of the page is a really good example of this & still relevant today despite its age, so perhaps this is AutoDesSys answer for some new material.

Just now looking back at the old videos on the formZ YouTube channel.  The tools are all pretty much the same, only the interface has changed, and even SKP has old interface videos all over YouTube.  Updated ones for individual tools would be great.  Or even animated GIFs like Rhino uses in their documentation would be awesome for the individual tools.

But we need hype videos to get some buzz going.

What I'd really like to see is a video from a heavy SketchUp users perspective.  Showing just how much more powerful formZ is out of the box.  Something that kind of pokes fun at SketchUp's poor solid modeling, and in fact it is cumbersome to have to constantly group surfaces into solids.  Another big point would be formZ's built in smooth modeling tools.  Even if it's just the basics. Something like showing a curved wall created using Arc 5, my favorite.  Smooth modeling in formZ makes this so much better that SKP feels like a toy in comparison.  

Evan's video above is perfect.  To the point, showcasing the strengths.  I'd love to see more of this to coincide with the v10 launch.

Hi Justin,
AutoDesSys is a small CAD software developer compared with others, however, they do seem to have taken Form•Z to a smarter level of modeling over their many years (33  ! ) in business compared to SU. Although SU was originally developed by a small enterprising developer & subsequently owned by two huge companies with very deep pockets with wider marketing avenues, SU remains very similar to its original programme. We often see larger companies swoop in & buy out smaller enterprising CAD developers, REVIT is another example, but ultimately I guess, the programming 'smarts' remain with the initial authors.

The down side of a smaller company despite having the 'smarts' means there's never enough time in the day to think about marketing. Therefore, it might be a better direction to pay someone to undertake these media videos who has experience in the product & Evan Troxel is an ideal candidate & would draw in like minded Architectural users as this is Evans background & he talks the same language. 

Evans Form•Z Fundamental tutorial videos are in modules & each module ranges from 5 to 20 short-ish videos. From my experience, (learner) these short videos on one or two tools covered well are ideal & literally covers most of the tools Form•Z has. So as noted before, this in my opinion for an update would be good to see, along with, as you note, some 'hyper-promo' ones as well.

I have worked with form.z for 29 years now. If you have ever worked in a large architecture firm, form.z is the really quiet guy sitting in the corner who doesn't like talking to anybody, but is doing brilliant work. Since he doesn't talk, nobody knows who he is, so the promotions go to the people out there talking to everyone and promoting themselves. There are a few people in the office hat recognize the quality of the work and keep him around, but he will never thrive without starting to reach out to others. Please start talking to people. Make a big deal of your V10 release. Make a big deal of your PowerCad association. Don't make people work to find you. Hire an intern for $15/hour and put them in charge of your social media. Boast a little, you have a great product.

I retired from my large firm position and I teach architecture at Clemson University. All the students are on Rhino. I kills me to see how hard they need to work to do things that would be so easy on form.z. Telling them that I am still on form.z is like telling them that I have a flip phone. Help me get the word out.