AutoDesSys

Both objects disappearing during boolean operation.

sjj

I'm having a world of problems with v9.2.1! Since the covid pandemic I've had to expand the range of items that I work on and now make 3d printed tooling parts. My work flow is to use illustrator to generate the 2d drawings from which to derive the modelled elements in Formz.

Man I'm finding it increasingly difficult due to problems within FormZ, trims that won't work (ID = SM.11:)and boolean operations that basically delete both objects which I suspect is due to previous operations causing issues with the model. I've used object doctor to no avail as it's informing of no issues but if you look at the model you can find defects that are then impossible to fix (see attached image)? Any help or work arounds for these kind of issues would be much appreciated.

Screenshot 2022-05-10 122510.png

2 hours ago, sjj said:

I'm having a world of problems with v9.2.1! Since the covid pandemic I've had to expand the range of items that I work on and now make 3d printed tooling parts. My work flow is to use illustrator to generate the 2d drawings from which to derive the modelled elements in Formz.

Man I'm finding it increasingly difficult due to problems within FormZ, trims that won't work (ID = SM.11:)and boolean operations that basically delete both objects which I suspect is due to previous operations causing issues with the model. I've used object doctor to no avail as it's informing of no issues but if you look at the model you can find defects that are then impossible to fix (see attached image)? Any help or work arounds for these kind of issues would be much appreciated.

Screenshot 2022-05-10 122510.png

Try using the Object Doctor on the objects before the boolean operation. If that doesn't work, please submit the file to support@formz.com for further analysis. 

Well, Illustrator is fine for drawing, but it's not "CAD precise". I wouldn't rely on Illustrator drawings for things further processed in a 3D file… and I'm doing a lot of work with Illustrator, and even take some of them to FormZ (for the looks, not the precision). This lack of precision has to do with Illustrator internally calculating in points (historically), which is then converted to the selected unit of choice. This won't work for booleans on things that are supposed to have identical shapes or curves. They probably aren't identical.

Bernd

SJJ,

I have to say that v 9.2.1 has been virtually rock solid for me. I can sympathize with you having problems, but form has been steadily improving in stability. Today is rare that I have any issues with Booleans, unless there's something wrong with the geometry. I would recommend that after running object doctor, you try remodeling any object that has geometry problems. I would also suggest that you use derivatives of your original geometry, that way the geometries match exactly, avoiding any problems at the time you boolean.

Now that I think about it, I have run into the disappearing act when performing booleans. Workaround: Try boolean split, not difference. That may do the trick.

Edited by allanjl

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Sjj,

Wow! if there is one tool that keeps me happy with FZ it is the boolean tool.  It sure is robust.  But I have had your problem.  This occurred when I imported a model generated in Rhino.  I examined the objects that could were not Boolean friendly and realized that they were not well formed and that FZ was not able to complete the geometry.  

I ended up using the Slice tool on these objects and then with a bit of patch work, made things work for me. 

Hope you sorted out your problem and do not need this advice :-).