AutoDesSys

Textures Vray 3 vs Vray 5

flakie

If I wanted to edit an existing Vray texture in 3 it was I would launch the vray texture editor. In 5 I want to add a transparency map to an existing vray texture,  but that option is not available in the current texture editing set up. Am I missing something. 

In VRay 5 for FormZ, the VRay texture editor is now smartly built in to FormZ.  No more need for that wonky add-on app.

Load your chosen VRMAT file, then click 'Import Material'.

image.png.fe694e0d94329c05dbe9beeb04b1dd13.png

This will Import the VRMAT files settings so you can edit them just like the old Editor.  We also have a lot more settings now than we did in v3:

image.png.ca632b35fc89c6f3cb2d294e9933f453.png

I'm finding this much easier than the old method, but it does take a minute to adapt to it.

• 4 months later...

Justin

I am playing around with V5 now and I have the same question.  Is it no longer possible to use the Vray editor to adjust the VRMAT materials?  I select the "vray material" tab in my form.z editor and it gives me the option to choose a VRMAT.  Then if I click on "import material" the selection goes back to Generic and I have all my new editing capabilities.  That is not what I want.  I want the flexibility to create unique and interesting materials with multiple layers like I used to in Maxwell.  That editor was amazing.  However, the program just didn't work out for me from a production standpoint.  Is there any way to use the Vray editor now or is it permanently gone?

I have to agree. The material Editor in 5 does not compare to 3.  When I upgraded to five I paid extra to keep version 3 as I Preferred the way the material editor worked. I found out later I can't use 3 on the same machine as version 5. It's been 4 months and Form-z still has not been able to resolve this issue. 

I'm away from my computer this week, but you should be able to create the same detailed and layered materials as available in the other VRay asset editor.  Not max style, with nodes though. But the same VRay for Rhino or SketchUp offers.  I find the new built in editor easier than the standalone editor we had before.

http://www.formz.com/products/vray/V-Ray5_Documentation/index.htm#t=Getting_Started_With_V-Ray_for_formZ.htm

The change in material editing was not our choice. The Standalone Material Editor (SME) used in v3 is no longer supported by Chaos. We have invested a lot of time building the material editing capabilities into V-Ray 5 for formZ. Each material method now offers access to many additional parameters and textures that can be layered. Our goal is to offer all of the methods and parameters that you have access to similar V-Ray implementations (SketchUp, Rhino etc). Internal editing also resolves a number of issues caused may the external nature of the old SME. 

We expect to release v5.1 next week which offers access to some additional shader parameters, more layering and improved import of VRMAT files. 

On 3/24/2022 at 4:53 AM, Tech said:

The change in material editing was not our choice. The Standalone Material Editor (SME) used in v3 is no longer supported by Chaos. We have invested a lot of time building the material editing capabilities into V-Ray 5 for formZ. Each material method now offers access to many additional parameters and textures that can be layered. Our goal is to offer all of the methods and parameters that you have access to similar V-Ray implementations (SketchUp, Rhino etc). Internal editing also resolves a number of issues caused may the external nature of the old SME. 

We expect to release v5.1 next week which offers access to some additional shader parameters, more layering and improved import of VRMAT files. 

That is some great news.
Thanks for sharing!

Edited by AHDD Designer