AutoDesSys

Please welcome PowerCADD

Tech

On 11/5/2021 at 4:06 PM, Tech said:

AHDD,

Could you please check your email junk/spam? We sent an email from sales@engsw.com with the link to the demo. We did not receive a support email from you either. Please use support@engsw.com at this time for PowerCADD questions. 

Please be aware that the current version of PowerCADD supports OS X 10.6.8 - 10.14.x only. We are working on a major upgrade to PowerCADD that in addition to a number of new features, will add support for newer operating systems and Apple silicon. Please bear with us over the next few months as we work on what we feel will be a very strong 2D complement to form•Z.

Thank you for your repost.
As mentioned: I did not find any E-Mail in my Spam or Junk folder.
Alright: I will write another direct E-Mail to: support@engsw.com
I am really curious about this software!

Edited by AHDD Designer
Translation

• 1 month later...

I had a thought: how will the existing PowerCadd user base fit into all this? I can see three possibilities:

1. The CAD functionality will become fully integrated into FZ, ideally as a direct replacement of the current Drafting/Layout module. This is great for us, but not so much for PoweCadd users because they will be required to purchase FZ in order to continue using their old software.

2. The CAD functionality will be offered as a plugin. This is too messy for my liking, because both apps will need to become plugins to the other. Frankly, I can't see FZ being reduced to plugin status.

3. The CAD functionality will be offered as a completely new standalone, but fully compatible new software product  This seems to be the cleanest solution to both sides, but likely to cost $$. The most recent price of PowerCadd was $US995 on the Mac, I believe. Any takers if this becomes the case?

Interesting times ahead! Any further thoughts? 

I've been a F•Z user since the late 90's and a PCadd user even longer. I take this merger as a good thing. PC has had it's ups and downs over the years, but at it's core is a very solid 2d drawing platform. The best I've found, and I've worked with a few.

What I'd like to see is the PC tools available in the Layout section (drafting) of F•Z. Then I'd like to be able to flow bi-directionally between the 2 platforms (2d and 3d). Sometimes I'll start a design in 2d, which I've struggled to export to F•Z accurately (frequent scaling issues), and sometimes I'll start with the model which I've also struggled to get an accurate export to detail in PC. Having these two "worlds" interact seamlessly would be huge. Like really huge.

This indeed sounds like potential for a great union. Harsh that Apple changed track half way through the PowerCad version upgrade development. Earlier announcement of PowerCad discontinuing development Looking on their forum Power Cad users love their software. I do hope that this colaboration isn't going to be only advantageous for Mac users, so that said, looking forward to the new skills and resources coming onboard.

• 7 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 11/11/2022 at 7:04 AM, skybound13 said:

Just checked this post on the PowerCADD forum, no new updates from the developer, last comment from a user was November 9.

This silence is a bit of a worry! I mean, it’s past the promised “end of summer” deadline, and we are still no wiser. I have a feeling that the product will be a plug-in, similar to V-Ray, and the extra cost will bite. Potential new users may be faced with $2385 for the suite (FZ Pro + V-Ray + PowerCADD). Will they pay the price of admission? The jury is out, as far as I’m concerned, but let’s remember that the idea is to attract new users…..not to scare them away!

Oh oh oh Santa, agreed.

I received two emails from Z about holiday specials. Apparently the first one didn't have the impact they were hoping for.  I have already blown my current software budget on acquiring Rhino and C4D w Redshift. I'd really like to buy into V-ray, but I pretty much lost confidence in Z's ability to communicate.  I went off on this before on another thread.  Please Z dudes, swallow your pride, or fears, or whatever it is.  I too would like the user base to increase in a healthy manner.  I'm not really producing detailed working drawings, another person does it.  Though I bet that person would really appreciate PowerCADD.  With total integration without paying for a plug-in would make Z more attractive.

BTW Redshift on a MacBook Pro with the M1 Max chip and 64 gigs of ram, really jams. Renderings back in day would take overnight; now only minutes.  

Edited by Gumby_Doyen

I'm in the same situation Gumby_Doyen. In order to hedge bets, I've made a move to purchase Rhino3D and already using C4D for beauty renders. Those purchases alone have blown my software budget for the year. The risk of having FormZ at the end of life (who knows since there's little communication) is too great to not be prepared for alternative workflows. Rhino is in a similar situation given that they too rely on Spatial for ACIS core however they have a team dedicated to making the next version M1 native, ETA summer 2023. They already have a WIP for beta, but it's not workable in my case. This activity, plus their open communication is what's missing and giving grave worries. 

• 2 weeks later...

We are like Charles Freeborn in that we, too, are long time user-fans of PCADD and f•z, continue to value them both very much, look forward to their unification, and would budget for however much they might cost. Such a unification would change the world of design and production. Among all the things the auto•des•sys team must do, please do not give up or give this anything less than high priority.

We are very excited about the future of PowerCADD although PowerCADD 10 is taking us longer than we expected. PowerCADD is an expansive product and the path forward from older old macOS technology has not always predictable. We are working hard to create a quality and stable product. Our current estimate is that we expect the first beta in January with the release a few months after. 

PowerCADD 10 is 64-bit, supports all modern macOS operating systems, and is native on Apple Silicon (M1/M2). It also includes a new DXF/DWG translator and a number of new tools. We think that you will really enjoy the new PowerCADD.

• 3 weeks later...

I was reviewing some of the posts on the PowerCADD forum and I think I misunderstood the collaboration between AutoDesSys and Engineered Software.  Initially I thought there was going to be a merging of the two applications but there is a comment on the PowerCADD forum that both applications will remain stand-alone applications (February 18, 2022 AD post by Alfred Scott.)  The first post of this formZ forum thread says “This partnership will enable us to significantly enhance the 2D drawing capabilities we can offer to formZ users,” so does that mean there will be enhancements of some sort made within formZ?

On 12/22/2022 at 4:44 AM, Tech said:

PowerCADD is an expansive product and the path forward from older old macOS technology has not always predictable.

This says it all. If updating the Mac version of PowerCADD is so time consuming, can you imagine how long porting it to Windows (let alone fully integrating it into FZ) will take? I shudder to think!