AutoDesSys

at Setz finally, finally, finally, your trove

Dear Setz,

Thanks for at last sharing some of your work. Of course I haven't seen a bunch of those movies and now will have to go check them out. Bravo man! Do most of these get built for actors to use and climb on? That would be such a cool job. I did see the Doc Ock movie, I like it because he's the guy I'm most cut out to play and that design stuff for making that character into a real "thing" was all awesome. Thanks for posting. Always a pleasure looking at your imagination.

Hi John, thank you for the kind words.  They do physically build quite a lot, I think directors and actors prefer working in "cool" scenery than on a blue stage.  At least on the big Sci-fi films, most of what is built is blended into a CG environment (or sometimes replaced entirely I suspect - because paint and plywood has a hard time competing with pixels).  It's stimulating to work in this industry, primarily because of the great variety of things to be designed, from spaceships to victorian architecture and everything in between, there's always a mind expanding challenge to be solved.

I submitted a bunch of images a long time ago and I haven't sent in more for awhile now.  I need to look through and submit some of the newer things I've worked on.  There's a lot of Raccoon/Walking Tree stuff.  These projects are large collaborations where many people are involved throughout the design process.  My duties range from first pass conceptual design modeling, mid-point editing and addition to others work, and at the end of the design process, cleaning up other people's files readying them for Input into Solidworks for toolpathing.  Form Z is really useful in doing these kinds of jobs.

My primary program is Form Z.  Everything starts and ends using FZ.  I do use Modo a lot, and I recommend it highly for UV mapping, and for editing and modeling of complicated, organic, Sub-D shapes.  Having Sub-D's integrated into FZ has made this a lot easier.  For sculpting and painting, I use 3DCoat.  There is some overlap between FZ, Modo, and 3DCoat's functionality, but they each excel at their own specific tasks.

Form Z works excellently with both Modo and 3DCoat.  This trio allows me to model just about anything conceivable, create renders for approvals, make efficient exports to Unreal for VR, and to quickly generate clean, high quality geometry for manufacturing parts.

Hi,

Man, you are so right, I had the exact same three apps at one job I worked at for a couple years doing grocery store product renders where for example I would need an exact duplicate of a syrup bottle and they would ship me the bottle. We had a rude 3d scanner that required scratch building the model (both inside and out for accurate product hero renders) in Modo over the scan. Then I would use 3d coat to UV and put the seams where I wanted them. I was so impressed with 3d Coat. Now I am working where my product files come from Solidworks. I can open anything with formZ.

I agree those three apps would allow anything to be created. I bought a ZBrush personal license a long time ago I have been getting into it finally trying the stuff I've always wanted to learn but put off. Finally learned how to paint fine details and make hair, so maybe I can do a bust or something. Cheers

Edited by johnalexander1571

On 10/11/2021 at 11:19 PM, johnalexander1571 said:

Finally learned how to paint fine details and make hair, so maybe I can do a bust or something.

John, I wouldn't recommend attempting that with a mouse! Get a good quality tablet and you should be good to go. BTW, what did setz do that deserves such praise..... I'm clueless.

15 hours ago, santa said:

I never thought about looking under W, so thanks John and well done setz. Nice!!

that's part of the problem with the gallery.  some of the really good stuff is buried deeper than it should.  no offense to the current and previous submissions, but really the gallery should put the BEST foot forward and organize by category i.e. architecture/interior design, product design, set design, tradeshow exhibits, engineering, exploratory modeling, etc.

8 hours ago, snow said:

that's part of the problem with the gallery.  some of the really good stuff is buried deeper than it should.  no offense to the current and previous submissions, but really the gallery should put the BEST foot forward and organize by category i.e. architecture/interior design, product design, set design, tradeshow exhibits, engineering, exploratory modeling, etc.

I agree with you @snow and would like to suggest by user name, in addition. Most of us hide behind them on this forum which makes searching next to impossible.