AutoDesSys

FZ8 & stability using sub-d tools

FZnoob

So I am finally getting around to exploring the sub-d tool set. I am a long time polygon modeler

going all the way back to 1998. I have used Strata, 3DSMax ,and Cinema 4D. So I am glad to see sub-d modeling offered in FZ

Today I was exploring the tools and following along with some of the tuts. FZ crashed

no fewer than 7 times in maybe a 3 hour timespan. I wasn't doing anything other than just basic sub d stuff.

On 1 occasion it did not crash but stopped responding so I had to force quit.

I think I sent 3-4 of the crash logs, but I didn't bother sending them all.

Is anyone else experiencing this level of instability? I am on a year old iMac with 8g of ram, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 675MX 1024 MB card,

running OSX 10.9.4 and FZ8.0.1 build 9355

I am not experiencing problems with any other software including FZ7.

Advice appreciated.

Hi FZnoob,

As far as we know we have not received any crash logs from you recently, and in general things should be quite stable (with the exception of one issue using the Free version with picking parts of SubD objects on certain computers).  If you are having any other issues, if you can save the file as you are working, and if you encounter a problem, reopen the file and repeat your steps (and save the file right before the problem occurred, if you can), then if the problem happens again, if you can send the file to us and the step(s), we will investigate this ASAP.

That is strange in that I am sure I clicked "send" on at least 3 of the crash logs. Anyway, I am going to try again this morning and see what happens.

If this happens again I will make sure to document each crash log.

As I said in my original post, I was simply trying out the different sub d tools on a cube.

Perhaps I was not saving it often enough as I went along, so maybe that had something to do with it. Not sure about that.

I will report back on my findings.

I agree about saving, and when I am working I do this. But when just playing around with the various tools I might have

neglected to do so.  That was my only point.

Anyway, just sent you the first crash log of the day. Time stamp was 8:57  Did you get it?

The file is attached. Just a simple cube where I was playing around with the sub d tools.

At the top of the neck when I right clicked to "add sequence" it crashed.

Hi Kenney,

Yes, we received that crash log and a few others from 8:06.  It looks like you queued up your emails from before but did not send them until then.

Do you mean right click: Insert Sequence here?

post-5-0-62266500-1420640761_thumb.jpg

Is there anywhere in particular you need to click to cause the problem?

(We have done over 100 inserts on various computers and this is working fine for us.)

From the crash log, it looks like your video driver is having a problem, and you are missing some Apple: Software Updates.  If you apply these updates, does that help?

Archived