AutoDesSys

V-Ray 5 for form•Z Beta now available

Tech

• 4 weeks later...

Hello - I am probably being daft here.  I have signed up for the beta and when I access my Chaos portal I can see Vray 5 listed in my products, I then click download and I am taken to the page which displays all of the products available (3ds, Sketchup etc etc), but I cannot see FormZ listed at all.  Where can I find the download?

Thanks

4 hours ago, pointer said:

Hello - I am probably being daft here.  I have signed up for the beta and when I access my Chaos portal I can see Vray 5 listed in my products, I then click download and I am taken to the page which displays all of the products available (3ds, Sketchup etc etc), but I cannot see FormZ listed at all.  Where can I find the download?

Thanks

Hello,

The V-Ray for form•Z v.5 Beta is not stored on the ChaosGroup site. The link in the email you received will take you to a page on formz.com where you will download form•Z v.9.2 (step 1), the ChaosGroup license server (step 2 if necessary, be sure you're on v.5.5.4), and the V-Ray for form•Z Beta (step 3).

If you have any further issues, please contact us at support@formz.com!

On 8/27/2021 at 2:51 PM, Tech said:

Hello,

The V-Ray for form•Z v.5 Beta is not stored on the ChaosGroup site. The link in the email you received will take you to a page on formz.com where you will download form•Z v.9.2 (step 1), the ChaosGroup license server (step 2 if necessary, be sure you're on v.5.5.4), and the V-Ray for form•Z Beta (step 3).

If you have any further issues, please contact us at support@formz.com!

Hi Support,

I have emailed you directly as the only email I have received is from Chaos and the link takes me to my portal.  Thanks

On 7/14/2021 at 4:36 AM, Justin Montoya said:

VRay GPU is unlikely to be ported over to Apple's Metal because there are relatively, VERY FEW 3D rendering professionals using Apple hardware these days.  Chaos will continue to spend their development money on the larger user bases that is more profitable. 

This is not strictly true either... I've been using Houdini just fine with VRAY5 on a Mac and lots of others I know and online are doing that too for fairly 'serious' projects. You can easily hook up your VRAY on Mac with a couple of slave linux or windows machines using other cards and easily just distribute render to them. And then there is the chaos cloud for when you want more grunt.

Just catching up with FORMZ and VRAY again after some time working with other software based projects. Looking forward to seeing how it's running now... Still got the old v8.6 installed and 'just' working although with a dodgy and cranky interface on the current system and about to update finally. I still feel a great deal of sentimental connection. 

I'm sorry, but you are confused and It is true that VRay GPU is unlikely to be ported to Apple Metal.  The VRAY GPU engine is unique from the other VRAY engines and requires CUDA which is no longer available on the ApplecrapOS.  Plain ole original VRAY CPU will work on Apple hardware, as was already described.

Setting up distributed rendering with Windows or Linux machines using GPUs will also work, but your ability to fast 'preview' your GPU scene will be missing on an Apple computer without the built in CUDA CPU, as you'd be requested the slave machines do this very basic task.  This is because the Apple cannot create the preview of the VRAY GPU engine itself without CUDA.  Which is just plain dumb, and Apple's fault for not supporting the industry standard CUDA rendering.  If they would make this simple change, they might have a chance at some professional 3D Rendering market share, but without it, there will only be a handful of wishful users attempting it as a workaround.  Windows machines make better 3D workstations.  

I wish I could say that Chaos Cloud was an option, but unfortunately, our version of FormZ VRAY 5 does not include access to the seamless Chaos Cloud rendering service at this time.

2 hours ago, Justin Montoya said:

I'm sorry, but you are confused

Nope not confused. I do what I do just fine and know lots of industry people who do the same as me very successfully with the same or similar equipment and software. I'm not using the current FormZ 9 and VRAY 5 so can't comment on that. It seems this forum has become an agessive echo chamber... so I'll go back to ignoring it and doing my own work.

• 4 weeks later...
On 9/7/2021 at 5:27 PM, nano said:

Nope not confused. I do what I do just fine and know lots of industry people who do the same as me very successfully with the same or similar equipment and software. I'm not using the current FormZ 9 and VRAY 5 so can't comment on that. It seems this forum has become an agessive echo chamber... so I'll go back to ignoring it and doing my own work.

It is much more useful to talk about what is working and useful in the current state, rather than wishful thinking about something far out of AutoDesSys's control such as VRAY GPU on Apple.  VRAY CPU works on the Apple hardware, be happy for that.  If you want more information, you should reach out to Chaos directly - https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4402148637969-How-do-I-contact-technical-support-

or simply asking Google will result in a Chaos FAQ:  https://support.chaos.com/hc/en-us/articles/4403292243601-Will-V-Ray-GPU-Next-continue-to-support-OpenCL-and-macOS-

There are a few important changes in V-Ray Next concerning V-Ray GPU and the support for OpenCL (on all platforms) and macOS in particular.

OpenCL support in V-Ray GPU Next

As software developers, our goal is to make our software run on as many platforms as possible and as efficiently as possible. This benefits everyone. Historically, we have been dedicated to supporting almost any open standard possible — OpenEXR, OpenVDB, OpenColorIO, OpenCL, etc.

V-Ray GPU has been the first — and mostly the only — renderer to support OpenCL for many years. In V-Ray Next, we have removed support for OpenCL.

There are several reasons for this decision. First, most hardware and software vendors have decided to divest or deprecate their support for OpenCL, for example:

Second, as software developers, it is our responsibility to make sure that our users get the best experience possible and can utilize their hardware to the maximum. Unfortunately, we do not believe OpenCL helps us with this goal.

GPU support on macOS with V-Ray Next

With V-Ray GPU Next, CUDA rendering on macOS is still there, but its status is changed to “unofficial” for reasons we'll try to explain below.

Apple devices don't come with NVIDIA GPUs installed and there is no official support by Apple for NVIDIA eGPUs on macOS devices. This makes it really hard for us to develop code and provide adequate support. We have tried the Metal API and, currently, it is not a viable option for our ray-tracing code. If this changes in the future, we will surely consider it.

Since this forum thread is about VRay 5 for FormZ 9, then we should keep it on that topic since some of us DO have current helpful experience to contribute here.  

I hate these platform wars and comments like this (quoted below) certainly don't help. As a user of Fz for decades on "the two" platforms, I know which I'd prefer to be working on and you mentioned it already.. I'm writing this on a 13 years old Mac Pro which is still running FormZ and it's OS (2015) beautifully as well as many other programs.

On 9/7/2021 at 10:51 PM, Justin Montoya said:

the ApplecrapOS

1 hour ago, Justin Montoya said:

Since this forum thread is about VRay 5 for FormZ 9, then we should keep it on that topic since some of us DO have current helpful experience to contribute here.

Correct to say keep to the topic, then you should too and stop stomping on your un-preferred OS which many, many people use and also stop flattering yourself regarding your contributions here.

Sensitive are we? - in my best Yoda voice

I wish the choices were more even sided as well.  Hell, I would even use Linux if I could get all these in demand creative apps for it.  But, no, most of us are stuck with Windows, not because it's better, but because it's much more open to the technology powering things like VRay 5.

I loved my Macs for more than a decade too.  But Apple made it unreasonable to continue using them for our workflow. Which evolved to demand faster and faster rendering for the constant changes to the projects.  I had the fastest Apple computer of the times, a 12 core Mac Pro with dual Nvidia GPUs capable of VRay GPU rendering in MacOS.  But they killed the driver support and with it, the possibility of using their ecosystem as efficiently as we were accustomed to. 

I truly wish that weren't the case and we still had CUDA drivers for Mac.  Competition is good for the market.  Maybe one day?

• 2 weeks later...

Considering the circumstances, I am actually very satisfied with the development of v9 - especially with the ongoing development of V-Ray.
On my iMac (Mojave), FormZ 9.2.0b1 (build A439) and V-Ray 5.0.0.6 (build 1603) are running.

Since the beta licence is about to expire, I wonder what will happen next?
Will there be another update for the beta?
When will these new versions be available for «regular» release?

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks,  so it is already there, just there is no announcement or obvious access.  Everytime I click the VRay on Z web site it still goes to the old one, 3.6.   Maybe the website need to be update.  Or the server, because I cannot update to 9.2 either.  Everytime I click Check For Update inside FZ, it said fail all the time.