AutoDesSys Forums

Hello,

I found a relatively new render...

https://www.d5render.com/lear 

Has anyone used it? It seems a very good and fully featured render engine. it has a lifetime license deal until mid-2021.

Formz could enter in talks to get a plugin integration.

Please check it!

Any insights into how this might be a better solution than TwinMotion/Unreal or Marmoset Toolbag?

All of the above struggle with transparent materials and I imagine it is the same with D5.

Given that Autodessys have already worked hard on Twinmotion/Unreal integration, I think D5 is perhaps distracting at best.

If I wanted to divert attention, Keyshot or Maverick integration would be more useful for those of us that design products rather than architecture.

At this point, we already have VRay (v5 Update coming soon), Maxwell, RenderZone, Shaded Full, and now TwinMotion is coming soon.  I don't see how another option is going to really work out well for our already swamped developers.  

I do believe they each have their place.  However, RenderZone should likely be replaced with an updated High Quality open source render engine... Cycles.  That would really add to selling FormZ's core product, which is fast and efficient solid modeling.  Shaded mode could also be updated for higher quality and better lighting support (Emitter light materials are available in OpenGL, but not implemented in our Shaded render).  

There's dozens of other great rendering platforms out there, but there's simply no point in chasing down the obscure engines with our already small user base that is barely supporting the options we already have.  Maxwell almost stopped making their plugin for FormZ because there had been so few users!  So first we really need to add users to FormZ, then maybe one day they can chase after those cool new engines and plugins.

On 4/6/2021 at 11:02 PM, bbuxton said:

If I wanted to divert attention, Keyshot or Maverick integration would be more useful for those of us that design products rather than architecture.

+ 1 for a direct Keyshot link.  I won't even ask for a plugin.  Just the ability to open .fmz files in the Keyshot program would be HUGE.