AutoDesSys

Why form•z is not popular any more:

UVWXYZ

2 hours ago, DanM said:

There is One big difference between architecture and ID, Buildings are built according to Blueprints. products made according to 3D data. That is way modeling a product must be precise and detailed since the 3D data is driving the mould eventually. 

DanM,

Yeah, the precision in construction is nothing compared to what you’re working with.  I once heard someone say, “If it looks straight, it is straight.” I thought that was funny, that doesn’t cut it in your industry.

You mention mould fabrication…I guess they are CNC-ed or maybe 3D printed depending on the mould.  Something that gets me is to think what it must have been like before they had the machines to make the machines that make the things we have now.  Like, just how did they make the first straightedge without something straight as a reference?  :-)  I guess it goes back to what I said  above, “If it looks straight, it is straight.”  I watched a video that makes a reference to Pumapunka with some nice footage of the crazy stoneworking they were doing.  It’s funny, the Wikipedia article makes reference to some brainiac who came to the conclusion that they must have possessed “additional tools” that remain undiscovered - ya think?  And of course no great mystery would be complete without a few alien theories!

2D sketches, though usually these can be exported as dxf as working drawings.

Most ID fabrication still requires 2D drawings, machinists work from 2D drawings. If there is a problem it is the 2D drawings that come back because a part does not fit. 

Edited by bbuxton

5 hours ago, bbuxton said:

2D sketches, though usually these can be exported as dxf as working drawings.

Most ID fabrication still requires 2D drawings, machinists work from 2D drawings. If there is a problem it is the 2D drawings that come back because a part does not fit. 

At least in the factories I work with, the geometry is driven only by the 3D files. The 2D drawings are used for QA (critical dimensions) and to define material, surface finish, tolerance, Etc.