AutoDesSys

.fza file?

AsOne

They are the autosave files which happen if you have formZ set to Save after every x minutes or x operations. Enabling or disabling is in the Preferences Menu. You can change how often they are created and where you want them stored. I personally like to store them in their own directory and then delete Tham when there start to be a lot of them. You don't need to keep them, or even to create them but they are handy if you do something that screws up the file you are working on because then you you only lose things back to your last autosave. They can also be handy if you want to go back to the way you had the model a few hours or days ago.

Autosaving can become a bit of a nuisance when you're working on a VERY large file because when the autosave happens it affects system performance, but on the whole I find them useful, for that one time when things get totally messed up. I save them to a SSD drive, so that minimizes the time the autosave takes. Often I'll delete them all after I've finished a work session, or finish the project.

Hope that helps.

Douglas

I use them for two reasons:

In general, it's a safe practice to have a second backup file of your work in progress, in this case, more up to date than the regular .fzb ones.

Secondly, I use autosave by operations (20) and not by time because I can generate an autosave backup file on purpose when I want to.

The reasons could be many, for example, before applying a complex operation or to use a tool that might freeze formZ... or explore some crazy changes with freedom and without commitment. This way, you know that you keep a safe file in case something goes wrong.

To force the autosave, I draw points on the background until saved and then undo the necessary steps.

I prefer this way and not save an unnecessary new copy, producing extra files that I don't need.

These kind of reasons and methods are very personal, of course.