AutoDesSys Forums
Tech

Datasmith for form•Z Technology Preview

Hi every body

Twinmotion is simply our favorite rendering engine for 2019

It's an amazing software at the best price (free for me because we gone in 2019l

The renderings quality is really good even it's not the level of maxwell or vray

But the rendering time are of courses more than rapid especially for videos 

The setup time are mainly oriented to improve de scene with a lot of assets in from the  library (not for rendering settings} 

TM import natively. Skp 

Si you can find for free assets from quixel to 3d wharhouse 

Here is our YouTube channel to see example of our work made with formz and twinmotion

https://youtube.com/channel/UCkYGCZPEs-6RIv-s4f8gQDg

I've tested the formz datasmith plug-in successfully 

The main advantages are :

The objects  scene organisation is preserved 

The geometry is correctly exported (better than with the fbx export that cause problems with solid  objects with hole or open cut) 

Objects are imported to the correct location 

(with z9 fbx you should set a rotation y-90 and  z 180 for an import with x axe up) Without theses settings fbx are not in the original location or weather effect in tm are not correct (snow) 

With the plug-in all of this is obsolete 

The only problem I've seen is with Greyscale bump map for converted materials 

(tm prefers normal map 

Bump map in tm are reversed 

Bump in tm is set by default to 100% 

In TM bump should be set to 50% to follow the normal map

Lower and higher values override the normal map intensity 

So if you set the bump value in TM to 50% and prepare you normal map for this you can increase or decrease the bump effect after in the TM materials

I would like to pointed hee a very cool software to make tiled (extra) textures included normal maps from images

"pixplant" 

Simply the best software I know for that 

You can also use allegorithmic b2m on steam platform) (or substance alchemist if you have money for that) but pixplant is really superior to make tile operations 

Voilà 

I would like to congratulate autodessys for win the epic grant 

And of course for the super good job

This is simply the best news for me and a super perspective for formz 

I will share the info in the exceptional Facebook twinmotion communauty 

(best place to see the best renderings or for information 

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://m.facebook.com/groups/twinmotion.community/&ved=2ahUKEwiHnbaIhNLtAhVJ4YUKHZEeCkUQFjACegQIEBAB&usg=AOvVaw15CWjXe2ZxJBl-Gc7E8ZAG&cshid=1608105875420

Un grand merci à  autodessys 

C'est vraiment super cool 

Hello,

We installed the plugin and export a project in .udatasm format under Twinmotion label.

When we open a file in Twinmotion, we dont see it, because Twinmotion open only .tm format.

When we click on the .udatasm file directly in our drawer, Twinmotion opens but we cannot see any object.

What is happening?

This is amazing news!  Unfortunately I'm absolutely swamped until February, but after that I might be able to check it out.

Twinmotion is still free but with limited output 2K resolution picture.

The results are not so good as Maxwell does but it is a realtime rendering. Reflection needs some additional work (adding a reflexion prob) and there is no HDRI illumination. There is no alpha channel neither so inserting an architectural project in a real environnement require Photoshop clipping (hard to adjust an accurate point of view).

But, overall, it is a really good addition to FZ capacities and we will try it for quick presentations.

Thank you Autodessys!

Edited by pkcn

On 12/9/2020 at 3:46 PM, Tech said:

It is installing into the proper location: "/Applications/formZ 9/plugins". It is should not be moved to  "/Applications/formZ 9/FormZ 9.0 pro/plugins". If you do this it may get removed or interfere with future updates of form•Z itself.

The problem is likely that /Applications/formZ 9/plugins is missing from the plugins search paths on your machine. This path should get added automatically. You can check the plugin paths in Extensions->Extensions Manager->Search Paths If its missing from the list, you can add it with the "+" at the bottom . If the path is in the list, be sure it has is active (check mark.) We tested this process here on a clean installation and the /Applications/formZ 9/plugins path was properly added to the plugins search paths so we are puzzled as to why it is missing on your machine. 

Note you that can also reset the plugin search paths by removing the file "formZ Previous9.fpo" from the /Users/<user name>/Library/Preferences/autodessys/formZ 9.0 pro folder (\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\autodessys\formZ 9.0 pro directory on Windows). Note that this will remove any custom paths that you may have added.

Hi Tech, I am having issues with this too. I have tried the above and clean uninstall and re-install and no options are showing up in the FormZ export options list.  I am on Windows 10 Pro, version 20H2.  FormZ 9.1 Build A399.  Any other ideas to try?  Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

5 hours ago, pointer said:

Hi Tech, I am having issues with this too. I have tried the above and clean uninstall and re-install and no options are showing up in the FormZ export options list.  I am on Windows 10 Pro, version 20H2.  FormZ 9.1 Build A399.  Any other ideas to try?  Is anyone else having this issue?

Thanks

It's possible your Windows machine is missing libraries. Try downloading and installing the following Microsoft redistributables:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145 

If during the installation Microsoft tells you that you'll need to uninstall a newer service pack or that a newer service pack exists, skip that installer.

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Tech said:

It's possible your Windows machine is missing libraries. Try downloading and installing the following Microsoft redistributables:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=40784

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=48145 

If during the installation Microsoft tells you that you'll need to uninstall a newer service pack or that a newer service pack exists, skip that installer.

I will give this a whirl and post back here. Thanks.

UPDATE - This solved the issue straight away! thank you Tech!

Edited by pointer

Very excited about this. I'd love to see a link setup like Revit or Sketchup have. I have gotten good, dependable results on Windows, so far.