AutoDesSys

Mac OS BigSUR With Issues, Render Zone Not Working

jmmanrique

• 2 weeks later...

I usually don't upgrade to new OS's for a long time after they're released, I only just upgraded to Catalina a couple of months ago.

But with that said, I'm sure ADS are already working on it and your post will give them a heads ups.

Des

RenderZone is a REALLY OLD rendering software at this point and it can no longer be easily updated.  I wonder what it's future really is here in 2020.  Combine that with the fact that Apple is constantly bullying developers and cutting off other important software (CUDA, OpenGL, etc), I think it should be phased out and replaced with a more modern, Open Source renderer like Cycles which is at least still being updated regularly.  

Cycles is arguably a better choice for the default engine for future formZ.  The source code is available under the Apache License v2, and can be integrated in open source and commercial software. Cycles is natively integrated in Blender, Poser, and Rhino. The Cycles4D plugin for Cinema4D and a plugin for 3ds Max are available as well.  It's cross compatible for Mac, Windows, and Linux too.

I've seen some work out of Cycles that gives even V-Ray or Maxwell a run for their money.  Check it out - https://www.cycles-renderer.org/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

The Public Beta 11.0.1 still with problems, I hope when lunch the definitive Version could work properly. So far the render zone Doesn't work at all, the mouse arrow suddenly disappear, the formz Lab doesn't install. I know is a Beta version, ... but soon the final version may be concluded, and Autodessys must be aware of theses issues

11 hours ago, ¢hris £und said:

If you goto the "help" menu in fZ then drag to "check for update".   It will give you the link.

That's weird, it's telling me there are no updated versions available. I'm using v9.0.5.3 (build A26A)

You must be on the "special uZers list" Chris... 😄

Pleas ADS just put a text info on the homepage saying "latest Version: 9.06 Build xyz..."

I just did a fresh install and found this version (as always) comes in when you use the download link from the purchasing email.

BTW there seems to be a new Vray version also, it now says Vray 3.6.8 - I also didn't know that. 

(this downloads using the chaosgroup sales email)

Installed now (Catalina still)

Keep it up...👍

Edited by R2D2

24 minutes ago, R2D2 said:

Pleas ADS just put a text info on the homepage saying "latest Version: 9.06 Build xyz..."

I just did a fresh install and found this version (as always) comes in when you use the download link from the purchasing email.

BTW there seems to be a new Vray version also, it now says Vray 3.6.8 - I also didn't know that. 

(this downloads using the chaosgroup sales email)

Installed now (Catalina still)

Keep it up...👍

Yep, that worked, cheers R2D2

Des,

I am pretty sure I did not get anything special.    I was actually on fZ 9.051, The App noted that 9.053 was available, but the Web Page is showing 9.06.

At this point, since the web page version was dropped less than 24 hours of my original post, I have to assume that the software check database is independent of said webpage/link.   I suspect, something didn't get updated.  What or where, I do not know.

421142768_ScreenShot2020-11-12at7_42_54AM.thumb.png.9bdf23f111f382a51093aaba56556521.png

"Check for update" now shows 9.0.6 as available. Please note that we always wait 24-48 hours after posting a new version before updating the "check for update" notification just to be sure the distribution is sound before mass installations begin. You can always install the latest version from the link you received with your latest license codes. 

Here are the highlights of this version. form•Z v9.0.6 (#A283):

New stuff
SKP translator updated to import/export SketchUp 2020 files. Plus these improvements:
- Import performance significantly improved. 
- Objects will be surfaces by default unless “Construct Solids” is enabled (which is now on by default for new installations). 
- Import now maintains layers and materials properly. 
- Non-Roman characters in file names now supported for import and export.
- Non-Roman characters in layer name and Material names are now supported.
- Import now includes wire objects.
- Exporting files with metric units works as expected.

General
Contour Sections no longer affected by manipulating corresponding Transform Controller
Conflicts resolved that could cause Key Shortcuts to stop working.
Arc 3 can be inverted with the CMD/Ctrl (Mac/Win) key.
Objects created by Duplicate (Edit menu) remain selected.
Reference Files window displays correct name.
DXF export and import now supports Non-Roman characters in the file name.
Exporting DAE and KMZ files works properly

Windows
Check for Update works as expected no on systems with certain Windows settings.
Alt key tap key works as expected

Draft Layout
Grid Snap now works as expected when combined with the Guide snap

Python scripting
unfold.py script now works as expected.
Scripts are maintained in the Extensions menu and are sorted properly.
The getLayer() and setLayer object method have been improved.

Additional performance and stability improvements.

We do not recommend using Big Sur with form•Z yet. We are still investigating a few issues that have been reported.We hope to have more details on this soon.

We will eventually be able to support the new Apple arm64 chips natively, however please understand that this will take some time. While the Rosetta 2 feature of Big Sur allows non-native code to run on arm64, the system prevents you from mixing arm64 code and x86_64 code in the same process. While we could make a native version of form•Z rather quickly, it will take some time for all of the vendors that we work with for extensions and plugins to make arm64 versions of their technology available. This will mitigate the usefulness of a native form•Z app in the short term.