AutoDesSys

DWG import is still without layouts!

3dworks

I am not happy with the DWG import in FZ V9. Why is there no option to import DWG files as they where intended to see, with their proper layout / viewports settings? I thought this would be improved when departing from V8 but still it's not there in V9. If I import any DWG into your competitor modeling app Rhino, it will be shown as intended by the author, with proper layout, exactly as the reference PDF's which show the plan as it is intended to be seen.

The problem is that FZ always imports ALL data on one "sheet" without any layout. In general drafters use large areas of these sheets for setting up the drawing or designing variants. These are all imported by FZ, which makes it sometimes impossible to guess what part is relevant for the final design. The only refenrence in this case is to get PDF'a for all plans from the architects as references and then cleaan up manually the FZ imported DWG's to finally get the intended reference / underlay in FZ. This is just too time consuming! I remember in an older version of FZ once there was an option to choose layouts when importing DWG's but I forget which version that was. Other apps like Rhino show that it is possible, so please add this feature again to the DWG import module  - it's a big workflow stopper here right now.

dwgimport_fz_vs_rhino.jpg

I forgot to add, that workflow wise it could be also a big improvement if we could just import vector PDF data into FZ, provided we get an import dialog which gives us options to set a scale and maybe some filters for the imported geometry.