AutoDesSys

FormZ Free failing to install

JohnJay

I tried to install FormZ Free.  During the install a message came up saying that a MS Redistributable needed to be installed prior to installing FormZ so I OK'ed that message and the Redistributable was installed, followed by FormZ Free.

When I start the app though, the Welcome window appears but then the software freezes and I have to CtrlALtDel and force close.

I really want to like FormZ.  I've tried most versions since V6 but stability has always been the no.1 thing that has kept me away.

I was excited to try v9 as it look like the modeller is better than ever and the GUI only looks a couple of decades old now :)

Anything I can try to get this working?

W10/6 core i7/48GB RAM/GTX 1070

Even getting registered and approved to post on the forum took a few days... maybe you guys don't want new customers?

Harsh but fair I think.  I'm used to modern poly modellers such as MODO and Blender where everything looks slick and is customisable to the nth degree.

More importantly just about all tools are fully interactive and can be adjusted in real time in the viewport so you can see exactly what you're doing and how it affects your model.

I'm less into GUI's these days though and more into practical considerations such as how quickly and efficiently things can be done, but often a good GUI and UI can make a big difference in this regard.

I've emailed support so will hopefully get up and running soon.

54 minutes ago, JohnJay said:

I'm used to modern poly modellers such as MODO and Blender where everything looks slick and is customisable to the nth degree.

I couldn't spend more than 6 hours trying the Modo demo because "Modo isn't yet HiDPI compliant" which I found mildly appalling given the popularity of 4K screens these days.

But yeah, Blender is HELLA refined. Open source will do that to a program haha.

On 7/15/2020 at 2:06 PM, snow said:

I couldn't spend more than 6 hours trying the Modo demo because "Modo isn't yet HiDPI compliant" which I found mildly appalling given the popularity of 4K screens these days.

But yeah, Blender is HELLA refined. Open source will do that to a program haha.

That's a major issue right now and I've been holding off on buying a new monitor for that very reason.  Ideally I'd like a 4k monitor but MODO scales awfully so it's not an option right now.  I could get an UWQHD which would be a decent compromise but it feels like I'd be investing in old tech...

On a more positive note, FormZ support have been in touch and what I thought was FormZ freezing is actually normal and it just takes "a while" for things to get going.  IOW if I wait long enough the 3d window finally appears and I can get going.

Edited by JohnJay