AutoDesSys

optimising PC performance

SJD

Hi

are there any settings within FZ that would help optimise performance when using some modelling preview modes? Ones I find particularly annoying are when editing textures or attempting to manipulate subd objects. The lag when editing in subd mode makes it pretty much unusable. Editing textures is also pretty laggy. I've been using demos of Modo and C4D and both are extremely smooth to use and make FZ pretty clunky by comparison

PC specs are:

AMD Ryzen 5 1600, 24GB DDR4 2133Mhz, GeForce GTX 1060 6GB (all drivers up to date) Windows 10

thanks as always

steve

Edited by SJD

One thing to think about is keeping your textures small if possible and then go to Preferences-Project Files-and turn off Keep Textures.  I would also consider upgrading your graphics card.  Form.z tends to really lag in shaded mode without a good card and navigating around can be painful.  I must admit that when I demo other programs they do seem a lot smoother and snappier in most aspects.  Hopefully that will be improved in future releases.  

Most of my issues with speed and fluidity tend to get compounded by the importation of outside models. That is a constant concern for me because it is absolutely necessary to my work.  Just importing the model can be a painful experience, especially when compared to other programs.   We are working with Tech to try to improve this in the future and hopefully it will get better.  I imagine that as all the other programs evolve it becomes harder to keep up with the cross platform translations.  It is worth reminding everyone that you should keep a journal handy to jot down when things start to lag and get buggy so that you can retrace your steps to find the culprit.  Kind of old school but that is just me.  

There are certainly a few tools in Form.z that can be problematic as well but I have learned to work around them for the most part.  Sometimes it is necessary to get pretty creative in my technique.  Just don't waste much time on something that is not working out for you and find a different path.  

• 2 weeks later...

I've used a variety of 3D packages over the years. The majority of what I do is concept work. and I primarily use sub-d for product modeling.

For me, C4D is the best at this. It's fast, clean, and has a lot of options that FZ lacks.

But with that being said, I do find work-arounds for most of FZ's shortcomings, and I can get some pretty decent results.