AutoDesSys

Rounding Question

SJD

Hi

I'm trying to perform a simple rounding operation without any luck

the ring is 300 mm diam x 80 mm deep - wall thickness is 25 mm. I want to round the edges of the face by 3 mm. I select the face with the round tool and it crashes 9 times out of 10.

is there something obvious I'm doing wrong?

thanks in advance

steve

Untitled-1.jpg

I just tried it with all of your settings with no problems at all.

How are you selecting the edges?

FormZ v9.0.4.2 on 2013 iMac running Catalina 24GB ram

Edited by Des

I have had problems with rounding and crashing going all the way back to the original V7.

Even something as simple as rounding a cube, or controlled rounding of a single edge.

This has been across several new iMacs and flavors of the Mac OS.

I will say that in my case it usually doesn't crash several times in a row. Usually only once.

The one thing I have learned is always "save" before attempting any type of rounding.

Hi both

I've found that pre picking with the pick tool (by using 'control' on PC) has better results - using the rounding tool direct less so

I'm trying to round front and back faces, front face rounds ok but then crashes on the back face. I have managed to do it now but it's not terribly reliable. I've found quite a few intermittent issues here and there but I'm putting it down to my inexperience with the post v6 interface (can't say as I'm enjoying it though!)

thanks Chris

yes that seems better, I was so used to doing it the other way - I'm still getting used to doing things without the option dialog boxes that used to come up. I think I find it easier to learn new software than unlearn/relearn existing software I thought I knew

Edited by SJD

I will second the comment that you should always save before you round.  This is true of several tools that are particularly finicky.  This goes all the way back to when I first started with FMZ in 1990.  As long as your model isn't too large and you have a SSD drive it is very easy to just get in the habit of hitting control S on a regular basis.  What is funny to me is that when I do things like draw with an actual pen I still find my left hand hitting the desk where those keys should be.  

Steve,

I only use the rounding tool when I want all the rounding the same on an object.  And Apply it at the object topological level.   If I want only some or different rounding, then I use the control round.

Actually, it never occurred to me to pre-pick segments or faces using the round tool.  Always something to learn, thanks!

¢£

I use the rounding tool very often for faces and segments. If it is a more complex contour you should select all segments -one by one- with shift key and then use the "Rounding" tool.

Otherwise, if you round segment by segment - often the last edge of the contour will not be rounded. I don't know why.

And sometimes the tool is broken, when you experiment a lot. You have to relaunch fZ. (but I never had this with fZ 9.0.42)

vva