AutoDesSys Forums
pkcn

V-Ray for FZ update?

V-Ray 5 is announced for 3D max and V-Ray Next has been issued for several months...

What about V-ray for FZ update? 

I got this answer from ADS when I asked about V-Ray Next two weeks ago.

*** The dev team has been working on it between intermittent builds of v.9. ***

Can't wait 😛

Posted (edited)

Chaosgroup just introduced the VRay Collection which contains ALL its products (including ALL VRay Plugins for ALL programs) for 630 euro/yr.....but NOT the VRay for FormZ plugin :(:( That's disappointing. And if I am not mistaken, one of these days VRay v5 will be released, so I think development on VRay Next for FormZ can be stopped ;)

Edited by Trick

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Trick said:

Chaosgroup just introduced the VRay Collection which contains ALL its products (including ALL VRay Plugins for ALL programs) for 630 euro/yr.....but NOT the VRay for FormZ plugin :(:( That's disappointing. And if I am not mistaken, one of these days VRay v5 will be released, so I think development on VRay Next for FormZ can be stopped ;)

I think you are mistaken as Vray FormZ is developed by ADS as an integral plug-in. Which means, for the moment development is behind Chaosgroup releases as it is not developed in tandem. .....So it's unlikely Vray FormZ will ever be a part of a Chaos package deal unless by agreement between ADS and Chaos.

Edited by Martin Malinski

I really have enjoyed using the first release. So much promise in it, with so much left unfinished. I really wish ADS had enough development horsepower to keep us up with the marketplace. Still, I am grateful for the tools we have.

Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Martin Malinski said:

I think you are mistaken as Vray FormZ is developed by ADS as an integral plug-in. Which means, for the moment development is behind Chaosgroup releases as it is not developed in tandem. .....So it's unlikely Vray FormZ will ever be a part of a Chaos package deal unless by agreement between ADS and Chaos.

Well, it's not a mistake (besides the fact that VRay for FormZ is a joint development); It's just an observation. More VRay plugins for other apps have been under further development outside Chaos in the past, but this resulted in more problems than benefits and now most are under the Chaos umbrella. I am using VRay (since v1) in 3dsMax (since 3dStudio DOS v1) and would like uniform development for FormZ (since v2). Then I could apply materials during modeling and when finished transfer everything to Max. As things go now this is not quite possible. Thereby you pay the same prices for a product that is more than 2 years older!! If I would use both VRay plugins I also would need to talk to 2 different support systems. Maybe if you are only using FormZ this may work and you may even be "thankful" this option is there at all. But as has been proven in the past with the other plugins it will not work, especially since it is very expensive to maintain for a developer who wants to stay competitive.

If there are enough FormZ users using another soft for rendering maybe Autodessys could make a deal with Chaos to offer the collection including the FormZ plugin (if you own FormZ!) and take a percentage.

Edited by Trick