AutoDesSys

WORKING UNITS

jldaureil

I don't understand how the unit settings work on FZ9

In FZ6 we have a precison of 10 power -16 which corresponds if my information is exact to that of ACIS (saptial)

and so this is what it looks like

image.png.629427addfdb7c5eab6ea4ff059cbc65.png

I usually work at 0.001 May I only display two decimal places

so I first set the numeric accuracy to 0.0001 and then I set the number of decimal Places to 2

image.png.a02a918c1e9de1421bd011fd29890847.png

image.png.69539f43317784921eab99bb2c794520.png

As you can see the display of the numeric accuracy field is updated according to the value of the number of decimal places field

This is how it is possible to set a precision much greater than the decimals displayed for entry.

NOW FZ 9

Just for the record, remember that this setting is moved to the file menu then project settings

image.thumb.png.0c14eecf56a3bf9141dcedc5495b61e3.png

here the accuracy is set to 0.0001 and the Numebr of decimal places field to 4

If you want to reduce the number of decimals to 2 (while leaving the accuracy on 0.0004) it does not work
The value remains blocked on 4

image.thumb.png.9be6ba178716e1858c58034e0711e5a3.png

On the other hand you can reduce the accuracy to a lesser value for example 0.1 while leaving 4 decimals ...
The include training zero option works

But that doesn't have much interest
What good can it do to have 6 decimals displayed if it is to have an accurracy to 0.1?

It is rather the opposite which can be useful: having an accuracy greater than the number of decimal places displayed ...

But it doesn't work on FZ9

for example here we start from 0.001 for the accuracy and 3 for the number of decimals

image.thumb.png.66f7be8c1131e7d65d7efacdfff59765.png

But if you try increase the accuracy (here 0.00000001).....

image.thumb.png.c7d5856398af5a125a1d0841b4f6d961.png

......the program systematically resets the accuracy according to the number of decimals
here always 3

image.thumb.png.0204cbecb2ab1c64afd6a273c7412994.png

As you can see the operation in FZ9 not corresponding to that of FZ6
What does not seem normal to me is not being able to increase the accuracy without increasing the number of decimals displayed

Is it a bug ?
What is the maximum accuracy of FZ9?

it seems to be 10 power -7

13 hours ago, ¢hris £und said:

Wouldn't a decimal place of 2   with an accuracy of .0004    show  .00     How would you use that? 

In Z 6 precision, this affects the zoom depth.
Obviously, if you set your precision too short, you cannot zoom in as far
It is used to check if the objects are close or superimposed
For example it allows me to find inconsistencies on booleans who go bad ...
It also allows me to check badly constructed imported files

13 hours ago, santa said:

Chris is correct. You cannot have a numeric accuracy higher than the set number of decimal places.

On Z 6 it is quite possible
and this is precisely the subject of my speech
!

It is rather the opposite which can be useful: having an accuracy greater than the number of decimal places displayed ...

What is the maximum accuracy of FZ9?

to make it a bit more clear

the numeric accuracy for all math operations is 32? decimal places and not changeable.

you can only change the display of the numbers and it has nothing to do with the precision of the geometry (that is what Paul told me some years ago)

to have more precision set the GridSnap to mm (my is set to 0,2mm) and set the DataScale to Lamp or Watch (in metric)

I wish to have a tool that can move a point/segment/object to snap to the grid with one clic. 

vva 

Thank you for the info
on Z6 the accuracy plays on the ability to zoom
On Z9 I am not really sure.

What do you call "GridSnap"

this ?

image.png.33761237a9c253a0e533c14d260d5561.png

Can you explain a little more the tool that would move a point / segment / object to the grid in one click (closest?)

hi J-L

if you have problems to zoom in close enough, try this:

with the trackball or the mouse zoom out a bit-then hold the alt/option key and zoom in again. (it moves the camera closer to the object)

GridSnap is here:GridSnap.jpg.1aa50cf43eb49f7e3691dd4398b5a783.jpg

1076825329_Bildschirmfoto9.jpg.ecb48b4e6923a87d2ea8248429a5510f.jpg

so I would like to have one click to move the object a little so that the center is x=-364,2 and y=251,8 - for example

the MoveTool uses always the factor of the grid (here: 0,2mm) and does not snap to grid

is it more clear now ?

vva

If I understand it correctly, yes a script with the current level of the API would be possible.  The Align2 script essentially uses everything that would be required to do this.

Question is, how would you want to control from going to x=-364,0 and y=251,6   instead of x=-364,2 and y=251,8 ?

That is, how would the script know what your intent is?     If this isn't determined, it would likely give you a result you don't want. Closest divisible of the grid snap?  Or something else.    The rest would be easy.  

What jl, you ignore my most precious scripts? How dare you!   just kidding...

¢£

I guess what vva is looking for is to touch the increment closest to the grid ...
this is probably what I will look for in its place ...
on the other hand I wonder how to program the script in case of change of increment of the grid?

1 hour ago, ¢hris £und said:

What jl, you ignore my most precious scripts? How dare you!   just kidding...

I admit !!
I do not know all the fabulous script that you wrote !!
especially the align 2 ....
on the other hand how could I work without your famous attention for Z6
and precisely on this subject on z9 is there an equivalent tool?
I did not search carefully
(especially that works with point and face topological selection)

this is really my script number one and from far away
  and for that I can never thank you enough!

😋

Edited by jldaureil

hi Chris + J L

yes, my intension is to move the object with the selected point (or origin for round objects) to the nearest grid-snap-point.

example: my grid is set to 0,2mm

the coordinate of the selected point is:

x=123,456789654123 >the nearest grid point is 123,6  - so you have to round x to one decimal place and that moves the point to match the grid.

same for y and z

please correct me if I'm wrong...

vva

>>Question is, how would you want to control from going to x=-364,0 and y=251,6   instead of x=-364,2 and y=251,8 ?

That is, how would the script know what your intent is?     If this isn't determined, it would likely give you a result you don't want. Closest divisible of the grid snap? << 

jl,

To my knowledge, if you are a maxwell user, they have something similar in it.  Though for the rest of us, the attention script will be coming.  I would like people to at least play with the scripts I have released.  They are all in the LAB section of these Forums.   See after the break more about the attention script.

vva, I don't think there is anything to correct.  It is up to you and what you want.   I don't see any problem with what you want, at least not in principal. 

Yes, as is, (I think†) the API has what would be needed to adjust any clicked object to the nearest grid snap setting.  Though, if the setting is changed, the object would need to be re-clicked to adjust again.  There is no watchdog feature in the API as it is now.   Meaning, there is nothing that constantly monitors the 

† The "I Think"  is there because I am not sure if there is a call to find out what the grid snap is.  I just haven't checked. If there isn't one, though not as convenient, we could override the grid snap and have an independent field for entry.  Another hinderance at this time is we still don't have tool scripts or command scripts available.  The only types of scripts we have are "utility" scripts.    There is a quasi workaround that can make them behave like a command script

---

I have been working on doing some YouTube videos on scripting in fZ.   In it, I will recreate the attention script.  There will be some material to get through before the attention script.  However, it will be the first example script in the series.  Though, to be a sneaky jerk, I am not going to release it elsewhere.  I want others to learn scripting.  Selfishly actually.  I don't see a reason for ADS to cater to me alone.   If you really want a script, and don't want to learn python.  You can still go to the specific video and copy entry.  Python files are just text files with a .py instead of .txt

My business got slammed this last two weeks.  I have about half a week left to get through, and I will get back to video production.

I put in a request from users to tell me what you want as an example for the YouTube videos.   No answers yet.  I will make this one script #2  If you have any other little type scripts that you would want to be included put them there.  What would you like to call it?  SnapToGrid ?

hi ¢hris

no monitoring - you need to use it only one time

( I think of imported geometry and my intension is to get 'watertight' objects for 3D printing )

you can call it Snap to Grid or Move to Grid or Adjust to Grid

Thank you for your engagement !

vva

Until then, you may be able to use the Align2 script as a proxy. It would move the whole object.  but it would require you to set up object-tools for it to work.

If you are looking to do points of an object, then there is another discussion that covers this.  I would have to search for it. though.

¢£