AutoDesSys

Picked object while rotating the model causes the movement to become jumpy

ariel

Hi there,

This is an issue i have been experiencing since almost ever, i think it became an issue when you introduced one of the older versions, 6 or 7 ... through v8 and now also in v9, and i have learned to live with it, but recently it became even worse and really interfering with the workflow.

I just recently upgraded all my licenses to v9 hoped it would get resolved, but it wasn't. 

Anyway, It doesn't matter which model i am working on, it can be 10kb model with only two objects inside, or 100mb model with thousands of objects inside.

every time i pick and object within the model (it becomes highlighted in red) and try to rotate the view, it becomes jumpy... (not a smooth motion.)  

once the object is deselected it all smooth again. rotating views, panning etc... once any object is picked its again become jerky and i can not rotate the view or pan smoothly.

I have been using all along top of the line hardware, but it doesn't matter on which pc i am working on, it is always the same issue. also on my laptops.

Currently on this specific workstation (which is the least powerful of the all)  i have :

Win 10 pro 64 bit

Intel i7-7800X 3.5GH version.

64 GB RAM

Dual - Nvidia Quadro RTX 4000 8GB version

I am using 34" dell screen with 3440x1440 res

Same problem accrues also on my other machines equipped with Intels i9 extreme edition, and Nvidia Quadro 6000k , 4000k, RTX 6000 etc...

please see link for movie clips on YouTube of a random sample model...

https://youtu.be/Ba022cvTwqQ

https://youtu.be/OOvrLysrhlo

Thanks,

Ariel

Edited by ariel
added some tech info

Ariel,

out of curiosity, what happens when you hide the landform models.

I know you will not want to do this in actual use.  I just want to see the behavior.

also, I want to know what would happen if you make your window smaller under both conditions regarding your landforms.

Same, I know you will not want to work this way, this is just a troubleshooting step.

so, for now, test 3 states.

€£

Could also be related to your snaps, many are selected in the video, but cut off and I can't tell which ones are on.  As Chris says, high poly items like the terrain may be causing the issue.  When an object is selected, FZ seems to become more aware of snapping opportunities and when there are high poly objects available to be snapped to, FZ has to do a lot of calculations, especially with Intersection Snaps.  You can try reducing the selected snaps to only the one you need at the moment or turn them all off momentarily.  You can also try turning off snapping in the object attributes for just the high poly terrain objects (except for the times you actually need to snap to them).

I am also wondering about the video card.   That display looks quite large, and the modeling window occupies it.

It may just need optimization for such a situation.   My computers are 8 and 5 years old with only 12GB and 16GB of ram respectively.  No upgraded video cards and I don't experience the issue.

Snaps are a good point.   I think too when something is selected, there is more redrawing that is going on.

¢£

Hi Friends,

Thank you very much for all the replies.

Chris - It makes no difference if i hide the land model, or resize the window. same behavior. Also i have optimized and tried dif drivers for video cards etc.. 

Jdauriel - I have saved it as fz6.5 and i attached the file here. i can not test it on this specific machine for i do not have v6.5 installed here. Can anyone try it please?

Setz - I have tried to play with the snaps.. reduced or turned them off. unfortunately same behavior.

I also attached here the file in V9 if anyone can test it and see.

Appreciate all the help.

Ariel

Lyric Topo Test 004 3d FZ V6.5.fmz

Lyric Topo Test 004 3d FZ V9.fmz

Can confirm with your file when I move the mouse very suddenly.  Not happening when same file is opened in 8.6.  Thx for the file.

None of my suggestions were successful.

Edited by setz

your Project rotates smoothly with All objects selected here.  2012 MacPro with only 1GB Video card.  All interactive render modes.

fZ 9.04

fZ may need to optimize for your video card.  You should post the specs.

Edited by Chris lund

Nvidia GTX 980TI 6GB.  Should be fast enough.  Mine is not bumpy like ariel's but there is a few millisecond delay at the beginning of the rotation.  It's barely noticeable but it does delay.  The identical file opened in 8.6 has zero noticeable delay on my machine.  I think it may be a delay on the FZ side of things sending info to the card.  ...and yes my much loved machine is a dinosaur.

LhEX8q4fNAOxqvlwUbWljTAzT.png.7b910d6448391765fcecb39803fccf3a.png

Edited by setz

I will look at it on my laptop later tonight to see what it does. 

Setz,  Late Cretaceous, vs a Mid.   Your video card has much bigger teeth than mine.

ATI Radeon HD 5770 1024 MB

Hard to give up this beast though. Been working fine.  Would like a new Cheesegrater, just can't justify it.  Even when this one gives up the ghost, I will probably switch to an iMac or Hackintosh.  If Apple switches to an ARM processor though, the Hackintosh is probably out.

Edited by Chris lund

This card allows me to "Export Images" using Shaded Full Display in sizes greater than 8192x8192.  Probably 95% of my work is presented using Shaded Full Display currently. Sample attached but jpeg quality is reduced because of file upload size maximums in posting to forum.

Victorian House.jpg

Hey!  I Posted an 8K image but it saves as tiny!  Here is the full image:

Victorian House.jpg.zip

Edited by setz

Setz, lovely work. The display systems built in to Form-Z have for me been one of the standouts that keep me using the software (just not at the moment though as my v8 does not work on MacOS Catalina and I do not think v9 is ready to pay the upgrade fee for).

The fact that you can model and see the likes of the above from Setz in real time as you work is a highlight of the software.

jdaureil - that doesn't change anything.

BUT, what i have noticed is that when i rotate or change the view even when zooming, the "Inspector" pallet is blinking... so i tried to minimize it (with the little black arrow) and it did help a bit. (it was jumpy for the first second of the movement and then it was smooth.

So i have closed that pallet entirely (with the red X at the top right), and that solved the problem!!! 

when i turned back on, the problem returned. and i reproduce it on all models and files now.

The Inspector pallet is extremely important for the work flow, so i ask ADS to please look into it.

Thanks.

I have reported many issues with the Inspector palette in v9 but none have been fixed yet.  There is also a noticable lag when extruding objects with the Inspector palette open.  It doesn't nest or stay resized correctly. It causes weird slowness while trying to work quickly.

At this point I hate the new inspector palette and just want the old one back.  I really don't see the point in this new palette.

As you can see, these are all bugs
Do not worry, if you bought killer graphics cards your card is there for nothing 99 times out of 100!
Besides, do you have display problems on other 3D software?

I was not aware of the problem with the inspector palette
(does the fact that the palette is included in a dock or not change anything?

However, the problem with the tool palette is known

Here at first I did not reproduce the problem ...
Then by loading the workspace by default I reproduced the problem
Exiting the tool option palette fropm dock solved the problem (unlike Ariel)

I suggest doing the following tests:
with tool option in / or dock
with inspector in / out dock
with tool option and inspector in / out dock

These problems have been reported in the BETA phase
Report them by email again does not seem relevant to me

I have already requested that the list of reported bugs be communicated to all beta testers so that everyone does not look for their own
I add that closing the beta test is an error
The commercial version of formz is not ready

In my opinion, it is necessary to establish a stable version and development version mode.
If this is not possible it must be assumed that it is not completely stable and allow more free and open communication between all

This is why I no longer send emails
I only act through this forum which everyone can consult
Anyway it's not faster by email simply I suppose it remains more discreet

Again it is better to assume that everyone can freely and openly help the Autodessys team to resolve the problems.

PS Setz

Which version are you referring to 7? 8?
Inspector did not exist on 6

I confirm
tool option palette in dock causes a shoppy orbit with or without selection
Removing the pallet from the dock eliminates the problem
This was confirmed by Brandon from support

Also
(with tool palette option closed
choppy orbit with selection if inspector outside the dock
Choppy orbit without selection if inspector in the dock
Choppy orbit accentuated if selection with inspector in the dock

and if you want to massacre the display
inspector in the dock with selection + tool option in the dock

I suspect the dock is doing devastating filtering

I observe an increase in the choppy effect depending on whether the conditions of its appearance are added

and conversely closing the two pallets resolves all ...

and to finish,
Who said interface questions were secondary?
Phew nobody!

Edited by jldaureil

Lyric topo...v9 test:

Backsaved to v8.6: all works fine no delay whatsoever selection or not.

In V9.04 I get a micro delay as setz described when "inspector in the dock with selection + tool option in the dock", but nothing compared to the delay shown in the youtube clips.

(same with both palletes dragged out of dock)

Making an extra "inspector" palette doesn't seem useful to me; I`d rather have the old-fashioned Query tool back and set it to a shortcut as in  v2 to v6 (or keep it as in V8)

I only do minimal adjustments to the default workspace; my screen is 2560/1440pix; MacOSX Mojave, Xeon 3,33; Radeon RX 570 4 GB.