AutoDesSys

MODELING UI

jldaureil

Here is my experience to configure the user interface of FZ9 Modeling under win 10 (double screen)

First I remove all the palettes

image.thumb.png.32edcaa579f7d3e125374795712b7c95.png

I activate the ACTION palette

As you can see it is positioned by default in the tool dock which activates simultaneously

image.thumb.png.b973db4064966da67052d84335023be7.png

if you try :

left click

Close palette : no effect

detach palette : close palette

move dock down : no effect

Can you show me how to detach the action palette?

now select  modeling workspace by default  + reset workspace

my result :

image.thumb.png.146adb3b8a0af5a1934e981fbb7dbbb7.png

As you can see the reset is not complete ...

Thus I'll go

formZ and navigate to C:/Users/[current user]/AppData/Roaming/autodessys/.

An I delete the folder called "formZ 9 Pro".

reset is ok

image.thumb.png.40fea0375ff2eb775716c366c08ada68.png

the reset is correct except that all my wokspace already recorded have also been deleted !!!

How to recover my worspaces?

I tried the following procedure
1- Open FZ9 pro
1- Export worspaces
3-Close FZ9 PRO
4- delete roaming
5- Re open FZ 9
6- import worspace
7- Reset worspace

and here is the result

Before

image.thumb.png.b08539ff0e663281e031725c07ebc5ce.png

When re open FZ pro

image.thumb.png.0693b240cf60fbd22a1be213509d436d.png

after importing  worspace

image.thumb.png.aac5cf5c26deaa7c27b13681000137fa.png

and finaly after reseting the worspace

image.thumb.png.2b8c74392057b52b0c6457b41f9632dc.png

conclusion
Good luck to those who want to customize the user interface under win 10!
It's very complicated
stuffed with bugs
In short it is not to the point

image.png

jl,

I am using osX but should work the same.   Try this:

1. create a new workspace

2. change to that new workspace

3. ctrl-click and drag the action palette out of its dock location.

4. Update Default.

5. Use your new workspace.

6. find your workspace preferences in your os and save a copy manually.  as you update your workspace, repeat this step.

The built-in workspaces appear to just dynamic. as the "update default..." is dimmed, for me.  I don't know if this is by intent or not.

If there is a lingering difference between the two OSs... reasonable to call this a bug.

¢£

Edited by Chris lund

Thanks Chris
It's constructive!
OK for ctrl + click to exit palettes
it helps you had to know ...

After a reset of preferences in Roaming and a trying adjustment job (it's not very stable when we move the pallets
sometimes a pallet slides into a dock, however closed ...), this is what it looks like

image.thumb.png.e3e94b9fe734bc055ae252ea67144f1f.png

There remains a small problem if I close and reopen Fz the Tool Palette (dock) widened as on the next screen shot
(I can't adjust it to keep its minimum width
I tried the update default command after creating a new workspace
In short nothing helps
a suggestion ?

image.thumb.png.62bae35d4373be69ce71997c8f2b1485.png

And if not you are right it is absolutely not serious that there are differences between Mac OS and WIN 10
By cons if it does not work, I call it a bug
it's not a sin to have bugs
Nor is it a flaw ...
It's not even a bad word
identify them to be able to correct them that's what matters

image.png

The ctrl/cmnd key to pull or put palettes from or too is documented somewhere, albeit I don't recall where.

I too have noticed the tool palette not stay the size I set it.  I also have an issue of the options palette growing in length to give me more and more blank space as it gets used.

I haven't nailed down what it is that is causing either though.  Since the Options palette changes in size depending on the active tool, I suspect it is specific tools that are not releasing the space.   Regarding the Tool palette, I too have noticed that if you adjust it first, then adjust the width of the other dock smaller, typically used for the options, the tool palette will adust to fill the space you were hoping to save.

I haven't noticed a palette accidentally sliding into a dock.  Then again, my interface isn't quite as drastically altered as yours is.  So, the opportunity is probably minimized.

I do agree that there are tweaks that need to be done.  At this point, I regard them as kind of minor and I know that there are higher-value targets that other people need even if I don't use them (Layout.)  Additional scripting features for me.

Overall, I am happy with the interface and direction of fZ.  I know the departure from 6.x to 7.0+ is a drastic one.  I didn't officially jump until 8.5.  I suspect it was drastic for them at the code level too.  They Had to do it though.  6.x would have never translated to 64 bit.  It's base code from the late '80s just wasn't designed for it

If I consider just scripting: building an API can't be a small task.  They built FSL for 5 and 6 only to have to abandon it (the world started adopting Python around that time and the vector only came clear after they had developed and integrated FSL)  Now to rebuild a Python API.  Rebuild the core code so that it could be transitioned yet again to 64Bit. Not all machines used were 64 bit when Banzai and 7 were being developed Only that the vector was clear back then that would be the case.  Imagine the uproar that would have happened if they went straight to 64 bit.   Then to top it off, rebuild the interface because if you are going to rebuild the core, this is the time to do it.

Are we still feeling the repercussions?  Yea.  Still necessary.

Can't really fault them though.  I can't remember my logic of a script I wrote 6 months ago.  I can figure it out again but to remember...

Edit: I should note: Since I am not privy to their internal operations. Some of the above are speculations.

Edited by Chris lund

thank you chris for your help and also for your precise reports
I understand perfectly what you say about the code (the fsl for 5 and v6 then its abandonment etc ...
I imagine the difficulties
all that I understand very well
what annoys me is this way of systematically rejecting my remarks when they reveal problems ...
all software has more or less problems ...
it is not a shame!
ostrich brings nothing
you just have to assume and voila
When I find a problem it is not to humiliate the developers but only to help them improve their product
it's not very complicated we are all in the same boat

tomorrow I'm tackling the draft layout interface with the same technique of ctrl +
I did a few tests it seems to want to work
instead of sending me for a walk, it was enough to give the tip and note what is currently dysfunctional to repair it as and when

the interface for me is fundamental after I can start using the tools and see if I can maintain my optimized workflow on fz 673