AutoDesSys

.obj export - can't get clean model to Blender

-andrew-

Hi all,

I've tried a lot of combinations, but cannot find one that works for exporting .obj to Blender  - while the geometry appears to be correct, when shaded, there seems to be some incorrect interpretation of smoothing. How can I fix this?

bottle.png.0d3780b0970484d1db5698dadf893864.png

Edited by -andrew-

Hi andrew,

I do believe you are looking at the fix smooth shading setting being toggled the wrong direction. Go to .obj export options and if the box is checked, uncheck it and retry. If not checked, then un-check it and try again. I think I ran into this with Maya. Sorry I didn't see your question until now.

Edited by johnalexander1571

Morning John - thanks for the note.

I've tried both - It seems to be ok with preview and Cycles rendering in Blender, but not with Eevee (new built-in, non-raytracing render engine).

I'll try posting in the Blender community to see if anyone knows what's up.

1 hour ago, Bo Atkinson said:

Thanks Andrew, so are you reporting a strictly rendering-based issue, but not a 3d geometry or a geometry-based-export issue, but rather just reporting how 3d apps typically handle extensive details of rendering differently?

Hi Bo - 

I'm asking here mainly about geometry. I say "mainly" because I don't know if there are material settings that could cause or prevent the issue.

A lot of this has to do with the way this and other programs handle one- and two-sided geometry. Part of the report from the Blender group indicated that some geometry was doubled. This can be faces, edges, or points, and can cause surface normals to appear correctly but create visibility and rendering issues. Also, obviously, we don't want stray geometry to clean up.

The main idea being that I need to determine what 3D export settings to use to get the "cleanest" working files, so that I can most efficiently/effectively process whatever needs to be done in the target software.

Thanks Andrew, 

Back in the old 1990s there had seemed to be an academic version of correct geometric definitions and methods, of little importance to me so long as it was indeed transferable, which you seem to be saying has become less reliably standardized, perhaps after smooth modeling made it's debut, and other app specialties are also developing new byways out there. I can well appreciate the inevitability that such things could happen when looking at the state of our world and all it's competing systems of every kind. It would not surprise me at all if solids eventually find a more expanded definition all together, with more than edges, vertices and planerity, and so I will remain content with hammering out my ideas with Shaded Work alone, thankful for all it's tools crammed in one box.  ^__^

Edited by Bo Atkinson
typo