AutoDesSys

Import REALLLLY old keyboard shortcuts file to 8.5

mattedmonds

Old guy with gray here back in FZ after a long hiatus....

Trying to import a really old keyboard shortcuts file into FZ 8.5 Pro, and it crashes when I attempt to "list" all the assigned values. Is there a workaround or fix that can be made to the .SCT file?

Thanks!

Here's the error message ID:

ID = 2:2:8:4023 [Runtime Error (FZRT) (0)]

Unfortunately I don't know of a way to edit/repair the .sct file.  The upside is that rebuilding your shortcuts has been made much much easier in the more recent versions of FZ.  A couple years ago I did a major cleanup and rebuilt my sct file from scratch and it took much less time than I expected.

What I did was to expand each of the tool palettes and then contextual click each tool I wanted a shortcut for.  Choosing "Set Shortcut" opens the dialog where you can input the desired keys.

For Menu Items - mouse to the line item you would like a shortcut for and hold down OPT+CMD and click (I don't know the PC equivalent) to get the Key Shortcut dialog.  Every so often during rebuilding, save your results to a new Sct file.

1991?  Wow, 30 years of FZ!

Those techniques sound like an easy way to start over, if that's what I have to do... Thanks!

If it turns out I need to recreate from scratch, at the least, I'd like to be able to list the shortcuts saved in that file so I dont have to remember everything cold. I had so many years of muscle memory of my shortcuts that contributed to my modelling speed...

Yes, I started working in 3D in Microstation, AutoCAD, 3DStudio, Architrion, ArchiCAD, Strata3D, FZ, and a few others as early as 1989. Was a beta tester for FZ for years, then an alpha and beta tester for Maxwell Render. 

Matt,

in the newer versions, you can list your shortcuts, I No longer have the older versions installed to determine if they too had that ability.  You can also export the list, which may or may not be available in the older versions.

The newbie goes away pretty quick, and yea, when they upgraded the forum we all got demoted.    User since around 1995 or 96?  You got me beat!

1015586630_ScreenShot2020-04-20at1_06_19PM.thumb.jpg.4e85aef95b3352de21f4a5bfe7f8bf49.jpg

Hi Chris,

Yeah, i found that list shortcuts button... but that crashes FZ. I'm guessing because my really old shortcuts file is pointing at a tool that no longer exists, or some other legacy issue.

I'm taking setz's suggestion to right-click and start re-assigning from scratch.

FYI, I've been a Revit guy since Autodesk bought it back in the early 2000's and had to leave FZ behind roughly 2015... now that I'm getting into 3D printing I've come back and really like what I'm seeing!

Ah, I meant you should look for it in the old version to see if it has the ability to do so.  Just dug out my WIBU key and fired up 6.7.  It also has that list shortcuts button.   You can't export the list, though you can print it and I suppose save to PDF.

There are a few hiccups in 9 left to resolve, however, in my opinion it improves even further.  I'd like to see what you are printing, if possible.  Welcome back!

FZ has changed so much since V6.  Rebuilding will give you an opportunity to rethink which shortcuts are still necessary and which keys should be replaced with one of the many, many new tools and commands.  It's still an ongoing process for me tweaking my shortcuts for efficiency.

As a side note setting key shortcuts for the Snaps has a hidden (I believe) feature.  If you set regular keys for the snaps they become cumulative, while if you set CMD+key they become exclusive.  E.G.  If you have a snap selected like Center of Face and you trigger a regular key shortcut assigned to Point, you will then have both Center of Face and Point snapping selected.  If you have Center of Face selected and you trigger a CMD=key for the Point Snap Shortcut, FZ will turn off all selected snaps and only utilize Point snapping.  Because of this my key shortcuts for snaps are: F1 for Point, CMD+F1 for point exclusive etc, etc.

And Chris, here is a model I am working on for a Halloween Display, will be 3/8"=1'-0" - about 18" tall.  Gatorboard core, wood siding, grown detail parts.  I ordered an LCD Resin printer yesterday to augment my FDM printers.  Sculpting a scary tree to grow next.

1292258277_ScreenShot2020-04-21at10_12_02AM.thumb.png.b92d260510f994d1c8d9c20e3452d165.png

Setz,

Very cool!  Micro-controller lighting? You can get Python µcontrollers now.   I would love a resin printer.  I have an FDM Delta style that I built from a kit 5 years ago.  Moved many times in between and need to tune. Never had it perfectly tuned, to begin with.   Looking to upgrade it too.

As an aside, one of the scripts I have been mapping out is for Laser cutting.  Haven't started coding it yet, as it will depend heavily on component scripting; not yet available. (I want it to automatically change the features if the user changes material thickness etc...)   Too, I want ADS to open up custom attributes to scripting.  Something they did not allow in the old SDK.  But it would be so helpful for many reasons to have the ability to script this, especially if we can have more customized data too.  There would be workarounds, not nearly as neat and tidy as C-attribs would be though.  PLEASE, PRETTY PLEASE - ADS?

I only mention this because you brought up foam core.  Looking to get a 100W laser cutter this summer, we will see.

¢£

I was looking at laser cutters also, prices a bit steep for me now for hobby use.

Micro controlled lighting?

I downloaded this from the Inter-Webs but I don't understand it aside from ordering the parts and assembling it with fingers crossed that it would do what I wanted.

417098568_LightningCircuit.JPG.6d8f9df6852057e05ed5322bd31a34f7.JPG

As an alternative I was thinking of adding some UV LEDs controlled by volume on a soundtrack for lightning strikes.  Like a sound organ kit from the 70's, lol - low tech.

Any suggestions info would be welcomed!

Something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/RadioShack-Color-Organ-Electronics-Learning/dp/B07BF4C75P/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=color+organ&qid=1587514581&sr=8-3

I could mix a low rumble soundtrack to run flickering candles in the interior and mix burst high pitch sounds to generate lightning. Audio track would not actually be heard - only used as trigger.

Edited by setz