Jump to content
AutoDesSys Forums
bbuxton

what's new webinar

Recommended Posts

I imagine they are going to do a little touchup editing to it before they post it.  "If you want it perfect, make it perfect", editing is that opportunity.

 

¢£

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would be good to see asap in any flavour 👍

In the meantime, I didn't see many comments on the webinar on this forum, or have I missed that dsicussion link ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Chris lund said:

I imagine they are going to do a little touchup editing to it before they post it.  "If you want it perfect, make it perfect", editing is that opportunity.

 

We had some technical issues with the recording plus we are cleaning up some rough edges (and prepping for this weeks webinar!). Please be patient, its coming but as these views tend to have a long shelf life so we want to get it right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not so much a webinar on what's new but more of a question and answer session. Oh and don't think you will learn anything about Draft or Layout! Not one of AutodesSys's better performances.😣

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/6/2020 at 9:04 PM, malcineurope said:

Not so much a webinar on what's new but more of a question and answer session. Oh and don't think you will learn anything about Draft or Layout! Not one of AutodesSys's better performances.😣


Hi Malcineurope,

It suggests you watched the 'whats-new' Form Z ver-9.0 webinar ? As a potential new user, I must say it sounds disappointing. As little traffic about this webinar on this forum & reading between the lines, it appears to be so, perhaps that’s’ why its’ not on their YOUTUBE website yet, even with the editing ?

It might be better, in my opinion, to just do a set of shorter YOUTUBE videos covering the main items ?

I’d love to see some enthusiastic up to date YOUTUBE videos for Form Z ver-9.0, just like the ones done by Matthew Holewinski. I watched again the Form Z-free YOUTUBE video the other day & am still amazed what this basic version can do.

What’s that saying again…………’ALL THINGS COME TO THOSE WHO WAIT’…..🙄

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CJTFORM-Z, if you are sincerely interested in adopting FormZ in your 3D design modeling workflow, I strongly encourage you to do so without delay. You will continue to be impressed with the robust modeling features combined with the ability to quickly explore 3d forms and space. It is a very fluid and flexible design program and far exceeds the toolsets in many competing programs. In my opinion, version 9 is not a perfect execution; it still has bugs to sort out. Many of us longterm users are also disappointed in lack of development from v8.6 to 9. Yes, there have been improvements that benefit day-to-day productivity. Matthew Holewinski's old youtube videos are probably the best and most comprehensive training resources out there. Evan Troxel has also produced some good training materials. Autodessys could put more effort into marketing and training materials, but I assure you will not be disappointed if you give FormZ a try.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Shibui Design said:

CJTFORM-Z, if you are sincerely interested in adopting FormZ in your 3D design modeling workflow, I strongly encourage you to do so without delay. You will continue to be impressed with the robust modeling features combined with the ability to quickly explore 3d forms and space. It is a very fluid and flexible design program and far exceeds the toolsets in many competing programs. In my opinion, version 9 is not a perfect execution; it still has bugs to sort out. Many of us longterm users are also disappointed in lack of development from v8.6 to 9. Yes, there have been improvements that benefit day-to-day productivity. Matthew Holewinski's old youtube videos are probably the best and most comprehensive training resources out there. Evan Troxel has also produced some good training materials. Autodessys could put more effort into marketing and training materials, but I assure you will not be disappointed if you give FormZ a try.

Agreed..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shibui Design said:

CJTFORM-Z, if you are sincerely interested in adopting FormZ in your 3D design modeling workflow, I strongly encourage you to do so without delay. You will continue to be impressed with the robust modeling features combined with the ability to quickly explore 3d forms and space. It is a very fluid and flexible design program and far exceeds the toolsets in many competing programs. In my opinion, version 9 is not a perfect execution; it still has bugs to sort out. Many of us longterm users are also disappointed in lack of development from v8.6 to 9. Yes, there have been improvements that benefit day-to-day productivity. Matthew Holewinski's old youtube videos are probably the best and most comprehensive training resources out there. Evan Troxel has also produced some good training materials. Autodessys could put more effort into marketing and training materials, but I assure you will not be disappointed if you give FormZ a try.

Absolutely right.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

CJTForm-Z. I was very disappointed in the webinar but not in FormZ. I think it is the best modelling program around for creative work. I do have problems with going from the model to construction drawings and am disappointed in Layout. However, as an owner of Rhino and Bricscad I still prefer to do all my modelling in FormZ. Give it a try!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Hopefully they will come out with a webinar for Draft/Layout, at least at that point we can understand their vision for it, and use that as a starting point to convey the users visions for it back to ADS.

 

¢£

Edited by Chris lund

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Depends on the User I think.  Some with simple projects may find Layout useful and it seems worthwhile for ADS to work to improve it.  Others with more robust needs will always need another program.  I work in Architecture and it would be difficult to produce a full set of technical production documents in Layout.  However, Layout has really helped improve my export of data to Vectorworks (where I produce my production documents).  I know can export plans, sections, elevations to Vectorworks via DWG in one pass.  It's been a massive improvement.  If we can get Imager improved or at least stable - it would help with image file export, which I use for elevation/section/sometimes plan backgrounds behind the linework.

What is the Draft aspect?  Is this a mode for 2D drawing?

malcineurope:  How is working in Rhino compared to FormZ?  In terms of modeling power, versatility, speed?  Most of my students a school use it.  It looks powerful, much more advanced than SketchUp, but slow.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

AsOne. I bought Rhino as I needed it as a mesher for Flac a geotechnical program I use. For that it had to reside on my Windows machine and, as I use a Mac for most of my work, I did not use i for anything else. Indeed, I created my models in FormZ and then opened them in Rhino to mesh. Your question prompted me to transfer it to my mac and play with it. It is a surface modeller, whereas I like FormZ being a solid modeller. However, it is very powerful and the learning resources are very good. At first glance the Layout procedure and drawing production is better than FormZ but I will report further on that once I have examined it further. Drawing production is the biggest drawback for me with FormZ.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yesterday I started to discover BricsCAD, and I have to say, it looks good. Their approach to get a BIM model is what I like compared to what Revit, Archicad, Vectorworks, etc. doing, because modeling is prior to a database with codes and it is working with Grasshopper as well.
Maybe I will get myself a 30 day trial version. 😊

I also feel there is not much of development or news about FormZ. Since my last bugs upload to the def team, I think the latest version is poor. All the bugs and more are still in it, not solved at all. Unfortunately!

This is my motivation to seek for serious alternatives.
 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Hugo said:

Yesterday I started to discover BricsCAD, and I have to say, it looks good. Their approach to get a BIM model is what I like compared to what Revit, Archicad, Vectorworks, etc. doing, because modeling is prior to a database with codes and it is working with Grasshopper as well.
Maybe I will get myself a 30 day trial version. 😊

looks like it's available on mac and windows too... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×