AutoDesSys

Can't use v9.0.1 layout

CADulator

I was having much trouble with 9.0.0.3 in Layout mode, especially with title blocks, and came here for help.  I saw that 9.0.1 is now released, supposedly with Layout title block fixes, so I expectantly installed it.  Yes, it fixed a few things, but broke many more.  I can't use Layout at all now.  My template projects don't work right: font styles disappear, but when I update a title block Dictionary entry <Entry> (for example) with "Text" I get the text "<Entry>" in the wrong font overlaid with "Test" in the nonexistent right font.  Items that have been completely deleted in my template projects appear when I start a new Layout with the template file.  And when I change and save a .fmz 3D model which is linked to a Layout frame, Layout doesn't recognize the change and update the frame.  I tried deleting the frame and re-entering another identical one, and now nothing shows in the frame at all.

I'm using the same procedure as in the 8.5 Layout tutorial at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UslpCswTm1o.  Is any testing being done on Layout, including 3D links, for Windows platforms?  It sure doesn't look like it.  I've spent several hours on this, and I can't find any workarounds for these myriad problems.  I literally can't use Layout at all.

Can I tag onto this post my issue since updating:

Since updating to v9.0.1 the space bar doesn't bring up the favourite tools after a few minutes of running the app. Restoring keyboard shortcuts to default doesn’t work nor does deleting prefs files on the Mac. Restarting the app it works but again only for a period of time requiring yet another restart! 

5 hours ago, CADulator said:

I was having much trouble with 9.0.0.3 in Layout mode, especially with title blocks, and came here for help.  I saw that 9.0.1 is now released, supposedly with Layout title block fixes, so I expectantly installed it.  Yes, it fixed a few things, but broke many more.  I can't use Layout at all now.  My template projects don't work right: font styles disappear, but when I update a title block Dictionary entry <Entry> (for example) with "Text" I get the text "<Entry>" in the wrong font overlaid with "Test" in the nonexistent right font.  Items that have been completely deleted in my template projects appear when I start a new Layout with the template file.  And when I change and save a .fmz 3D model which is linked to a Layout frame, Layout doesn't recognize the change and update the frame.  I tried deleting the frame and re-entering another identical one, and now nothing shows in the frame at all.

I'm using the same procedure as in the 8.5 Layout tutorial at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UslpCswTm1o.  Is any testing being done on Layout, including 3D links, for Windows platforms?  It sure doesn't look like it.  I've spent several hours on this, and I can't find any workarounds for these myriad problems.  I literally can't use Layout at all.

So far we are not able to reproduce the problems that you are experiencing with the temples or title blocks. Can you please send your temple file and the title block that you are using to support@formz.com so we can test with your files? Also we can not reproduce the problem with the linked 3D model files not updating. Are you working off of a local drive or on a network or cloud service?

5 hours ago, Gyro said:

Can I tag onto this post my issue since updating:

Since updating to v9.0.1 the space bar doesn't bring up the favourite tools after a few minutes of running the app. Restoring keyboard shortcuts to default doesn’t work nor does deleting prefs files on the Mac. Restarting the app it works but again only for a period of time requiring yet another restart! 

We have not observed or been able to reproduce this behavior. Are you on OS X or windows? How long does it take before it stops working?

@AsOne -- thanks for the suggestion.  I've been working with Support, and my problems are largely solved now by the 9.0.1.1 release and by structuring my title block and project template files correctly.  Brandon in tech support showed me that the title block .fml file should contain graphics and directory items, and the project template .fml file should be blank except for the settings you want under File / Project Settings.  The project template .fml may also specify the title block .fml you want for your project template under File / Project Settings, but a title block .fml should never reference another title block .fml.  I sure didn't get that from the tutorial...

Gerrit

For unknown reasons, the tool «Content Frame» remains inactive / gray.

This whole group cannot be selected and therefore I cannot place any content.

Also, not all presets are saved accurately in the preferences document.

For example, I want to have the vertical separator lines in the palettes, but after each restart they are gone again.

MacOS 10.14.6 / FormZ 9.0.1 (Build A107)

FZ_Layout.thumb.jpg.5d85707f5390c45dc143a4a888ed9c8d.jpg

Do you have this same issue when you select a New Layout instead of New Draft?  When I open a New Draft file, the Content Menu is greyed out.  But when I open a New Layout file, the Content Menu is active.  Then I'm able to turn Draft Layout Mode off to access the standard Draft Mode. 

4 hours ago, d_b said:

But when I open a New Layout file, the Content Menu is active.

Aha! That is what really makes it!

Sorry, but since version 9 now separates between «Layout» and «Draft» I didn't realize that I can/must switch.

Nevertheless: The problem with the correct saving of the templates / preferences remains.

It is now even intensified, because if I save a template with «Layout» in the foreground, then at the next program start only «Draft» is active again.

The Layout & Draft modes are from v6.  However, v9's Drafting app has a way to go before it's really usable.  I'm having the same issues, only some of my preferences are being saved, along with many other issues.  I plan to put together a list of items for the formZ support team.  Hopefully they'll be able to fix the glitches.

21 hours ago, santa said:

Is AutoCAD dwg file import/export working properly? Form.Z 6.7.3 included support all the way back to R12 (I think). Is this still the case?

I just imported a 2018 AutoCAD file into formZ Layout.  The model space included a 3d model and 2d line work with text and dimensions.  There were also two layout sheets with text and title boards. Only the 2d line work within the dwg's model space was imported.  I wasn't expecting the 3d model to come through, but I was hoping that the two layout sheets would come through.  Importing the dwg file into the formZ yields the same result except the 3d model part comes through along with the 2d line work.

I haven't exported anything as dwg yet, so I can't report on that aspect.

This may just be a shot in the dark, but did any of you trash the autodessys folder prior to installing the final release of v 9.0.x? I had kept the autodessys folder from the last beta, and installed the final released of v. 9.0.x. without trashing that folder. I had many issues that seemed bizarre until I did just that. Once that folder was re-written, almost all of the problems went away. I hope this helps.