AutoDesSys Forums
-andrew-

How do I get a bigger grid?

Hi all - 

I'm working on a project (in 8.6, PC) and can't seem to get the grid to be subdivided.

Here's what I'm trying to do, for example: make a grid that's 40mm x 40mm with a 1mm grid.

However, I can't do it - I can make a grid that's set to 1mm (2mm x 2mm) with 10 divisions, but if I try to make a 20mm grid (40mm x 40mm) I just get four large empty quadrants.

Maybe I'm forgetting something here but I can't get it to work even after quite a bit of experimentation....

Something is terribly wrong with the grid system when I try to do this.  You are not doing anything wrong from what I can tell.  I bumped up the numerical accuracy thinking that might have an effect but it did not.  Out of curiosity what are you trying to build that is so tiny?  I work in architecture so I never need to get that small.  

1 hour ago, vva said:

you have to reduce the over all grid size and zoom in to see the grid 

grid.thumb.png.1e68a54ea17dd9b5c20b34540b08b7d1.png

Thanks - what are your settings? I’ve tried zooming in, but didn’t see anything except a single outside border.

Hi Andrew,

It may have to do with the Extents settings of your reference plane. If you need more resolution (i.e. smaller units) for modelling a very small object (e.g. a watch, a molecule 🙂 ) then typically your total scene will be smaller so you can reduce the Extents of your grid. Typically it does not make sense to have a very large grid in combination with very high resolution and FormZ does not support this: if the Extents of your reference plane are very large, FormZ refuses to further increase the fineness of the grid.

If you go to menu Palettes/References Plane Parameters and then reduce the Extents of your references plane, does that help?

// Tom

Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 16.31.20.png

Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 16.31.25.png

Edited by Pobo

24 minutes ago, Pobo said:

Hi Andrew,

It may have to do with the Extents settings of your reference plane. If you need more resolution (i.e. smaller units) for modelling a very small object (e.g. a watch, a molecule 🙂 ) then typically your total scene will be smaller so you can reduce the Extents of your grid. Typically it does not make sense to have a very large grid in combination with very high resolution and FormZ does not support this: if the Extents of your reference plane are very large, FormZ refuses to further increase the fineness of the grid.

If you go to menu Palettes/References Plane Parameters and then reduce the Extents of your references plane, does that help?

// Tom

Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 16.31.20.png

Screenshot 2020-02-16 at 16.31.25.png

Thanks very much - will take a look at this closely.