AutoDesSys

FZ 9.0.0.3 Reference File Layers Not differentiated

kim

When using Reference files for projects they tend to have similar names, if not the same names.  When attaching a reference file to a project the layer palette does not differentiate the reference file layers from the file layers.  This makes working with a reference file really difficult.

It would be helpful if the Reference File Layers were separate to the working file and maybe Prefixed REF or something like that.  Maybe it could look like this? 

REF: Layer 1
REF: Layer 2
REF: Layer 3
Layer 1
Layer 2
Layer 3

If you added more than one reference file then the system should realize this and then the layers would read as follows:

REF A: Layer 1
REF A: Layer 2
REF A: Layer 3
REF B: Layer 1
REF B: Layer 2
REF B: Layer 3
Layer 1
Layer 2
Layer 3

Kim, I don't think it should work like you said. But that's my opinion...

When I model I want to use the same layers, because at the end of the complex modelling, It is still 1 model. I prefer not increasing layers with your suggestion.

This is where a settings preference would be useful - I tend to agree with Kim (and being also a Microstation user that also has reference files). Reference files open up the program to multi user and multi discipline models where the levels may be quite different and name differentiation would be nice to have.

some other options as well as the prefixing:

* Just show reference levels.

* Just show live levels.

* Show live levels first, ref levels after or reversed.

Microstation also has what is called a logical name when the reference is attached - imagine the same reference file attached multiple times - (does the Formz ref system allow this?) a beam and column say ( a simplistic example) and moved into multiple positions to form a structural layout. The reference file name is the same every time but the optional additional logical name could then be used to indicate its grid position say.

* So sort by logical name.

Of course the user preference could be set to just show a combined level system for those that want it.

I think we need the ability to differentiate what Layers are coming from a Reference file and what is solely in the project itself.  Or at very least, have the option to set it up that way when first Adding the Reference files. (Add Unique Layers for Reference Files)

I love seeing detailed Layers lists like above!  So many lazy modelers do not use Layers efficiently.  I do not even use the Objects palette (Turned OFF) as Layers does everything I need.  We do need the ability to have the same name Layers under different Layer Groups.  This has been requested before and I think is important to add for maximum Layer organization, congruencey, and efficiency.

I really like the Layers and Class system in Vectorworks. So smart.

A Class can be in every Layer. Switching of 1 layer, all objects on that Layer switched off. Easy to control all kind of levels.

Screenshot 2020-01-23 at 19.02.11.png

Screenshot 2020-01-23 at 19.02.05.png

Edited by Hugo

Not the same. A class can be in all layers. That is different. For instance. A chair (class chair) can be visible on the layer, floor 1, floor 2, floor 3. But if you switch of layer floor 3, the chairs on that layer are not visible. The reference files in v9, do something similar. 

Edited by Hugo

10 minutes ago, Hugo said:

Not the same. A class can be in all layers. That is different. For instance. A chair (class chair) can be visible on the layer, floor 1, floor 2, floor 3. But if you switch of layer floor 3, the chairs on that layer are not visible. The reference files in v9, do something similar. 

So switching off that chair class would hide those chairs on all layers irrespective of the layers visibility? And would that switch off the chairs if they were on a reference layer too?

It switch off the chairs IN the file you working in, not in the reference file. The reference file got it’s own layer and class organization. You CAN organize both in your file you are working in. 

Edited by Hugo

• 2 weeks later...

For me the best option would be when you import the Ref. file be given a choice to add a Prefix to the Layers in the Ref. file.  You could add "Ref 1" or "Ref A" or "Table 1" or "Maple Tree" or leave it blank....whatever you wish.  This could then be adjusted later in the Ref. file settings.