AutoDesSys

Any suggestions on modelling a honeycomb pattern?

BernieB

Started to play with this, and I kept coming up with a few pentagrams...   Hmmm... if you take a closer look at the image, there are occasional pentagrams too.

This is pretty manual... but, start with a Geodesic sphere, with a number of subdivisions of 4.   create to size.  Then pick an arbitrary location (I chose center top)  and start deleting segments so that you have a hexagram left over.   Adjacent to that, do it again... and keep going.  Again, you will run into spots, that the only option is a pentagram.

Too, you may need to experiment with higher number of subdivisions.  I only tried a value of 4. and it may be possible, that I run into trouble somewhere that neither a hex or a pent will fit....   

872944076_ScreenShot2020-01-16at11_24_50PM.thumb.png.cb6f26aaa2a5d2873ab075a99230f901.png

Hope this helps, and hope even more that someone else will come up with a more clever idea.

¢£

6 subdivisions is the magic number,   First eliminate the pentagon "fills"  this gives you a kind of nucleus to work around.

It really helps to have your pick tool to "crossing always"  that way you only need to capture the center of each hex or pent that you want so that you can delete them.

Or, you can use what I set up as a starter.

HexiSphere.fmz.zip

cheers!

Great work there guys!   And now for the lazy way 😁

Version 6x had the original Attach Tool which did result in a decent looking frame version, (which hides the imperfect alignments), but the model is all done with just a few clicks.

version6-AttachTool.thumb.png.5a3168318933f4047a18e746b9c8c140.png

Edited by Bo Atkinson

2 hours ago, santa said:

This could also possibly work using a texture. Find a seamless hexagonal pattern, derive transparency and bump maps from it and simply map to your object. Not a modelling solution, but it may be good enough.

I'm not fully convinced a texture approach would work. My goal was to replicate the structure of the Rode VideoMic. So I want to have the lattice wrap around another sphere. In the future I also intend to make the inner sphere semi-transparent, to test the lighting and detail within.