AutoDesSys Forums
Imagix

Nvidia GPU on Mac

19 hours ago, Imagix said:

Has anyone had success using an eGPU with Nvidia cards on Mac?

No, but I'd like to know too.

Definitely not with Mojave and Catalina anyway at the moment, at least until Nvidia start supporting Metal.

and sorry that's just not going to happen. Metal is not a priority while Apple has 'locked out' all nVidia drivers internal or external (eGPU card cages) since Mohave as you say...

No.

Apple has shown it has no interest in supporting 3D design professionals with it's lack of proper hardware and software support.  NVIDIA GPUs are needed for most common and popular GPU Rendering engines (Maxwell, V-Ray, Octane, etc.), which requires the Nvidia based CUDA driver, which Apple stopped supporting completely.  It would appear that Apple and Nvidia are not going to move forward together, despite Nvidia's attempts to keep the drivers alive.  

I believe this is the reason 99% of all 3D professionals have moved away from new Apple machines.  It just doesn't work with the newer, faster, GPU based rendering software anymore.  I loved the Mac OS system for many years, but these decisions forced us to move to Windows 10 to stay competitive with rendering.  Windows 10 has been fantastic and I don't miss Apple at all.  We even switched to Pixel phones and Android TVs.  It all works together beautifully and has none of the new Apple BS to deal with.  

45 minutes ago, Justin Montoya said:

Apple has shown it has no interest in supporting 3D design professionals with it's lack of proper hardware and software support.

Really?? The new Mac Pro with support for 2x dual-gpus should work well for 3D artist 🙂 Personally is use Maxwell and Corona on Mac - both CPU, but the latter very fast. For Maxwell I render on Rebus which means I can have high res Maxwell renders ready in as little as 10 minutes. Sure it costs, but so does Nvidia GPU's.

Redshift (coming soon) and Pro Render (AMD's) both support GPU rendering on Mac, so sure Next Limit could have as well. The lack of Nvidia support on Mac is very annoying, agreed. It would open up a lot of possibilities, but it's not just on Apple... https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/1052991-apple-and-nvidia-a-sad-story-for-apple-users/

Just like the last Mac Pro 'Trashcan' had dual AMD GPUs that were still worthless for 3D artists and the software they are using because 99% of it is already CUDA based?  All they had to do was keep supporting Nvidia CUDA by allowing it to be installed and used for eGPUs.  Nvidia was doing all of the driver upkeep themselves FOR FREE despite not actually selling any Mac based Nvidia hardware.  Apple just doesn't like Nvidia anymore, and hasn't in nearly 10 years...

If Apple cared about supporting 3D Design professionals, it would build and support the MOST common Software/Hardware that we are already using Industry wide.  NVIDIA CUDA.  AMD's GPU rendering offerings are a long way off due to really poor OpenCL Support.  This is why V-Ray and other GPU engines stopped trying to support non CUDA hardware.  They are trying to change this with Vulkan, but until the other major rendering engines see an advantage over CUDA, it's a LONG way away from being useful here with FormZ.

I love AMD CPUs (Threadripper!), but NVIDIA's CUDA based GPUs work with all the major GPU accelerated software and even with Adobe's GPU acceleration tools (Photoshop, Lightroom, Premiere).  

Ask yourself why you want to support a company like Apple when they are purposely making your life more difficult as a 3D professional trying to use GPU rendering?

It sounds like you are happy with CPU rendering, and there's nothing wrong with that.  Using expensive farms to render your work was really common for many studios.  It's also really common to see massive cost savings after your GPUs pay for themselves after 2 rendering jobs when switching over to a GPU engine.

Bottom Line - Maxwell's GPU rendering is CUDA based.  That's unlikely to change anytime soon.  If you want to take advantage of the improved speed in Maxwell GPU, you will need to use CUDA based hardware that supports it.  Windows PCs with Nvidia GPUs are the most common workstation solution.