AutoDesSys

Select All Challenges

< 3.5 GHz, 6-Core Mac Pro (MacPro6,1) with 16GB RAM and D700 GPUs, running macOS 10.14.5 and form•Z 8.6.5 >

Greetings, folks!

cmd-a used to select only those objects that were visible, unlocked, and only on visible layers, i.e., if I can see it on my screen after a zoom-to-fit and it’s not locked, it gets selected and nothing else gets selected.

I just lost hours because form•Z was changing layers of objects that were not visible, on layers that were not visible! Almost all, but not quite all! (for no discernible reason), of my invisible layers and invisible objects get highlighted in my Layers and Objects palettes when I invoke the Edit/Select All menu item! I have gone through the online manuals to see how to restore this behavior with no luck.

There also seems to be no way to reset the Tool Options/Pick/Attributes, e.g., any material selected cannot be changed to include all materials.

Thoughts on how to select only those objects that are visible on screen and unlocked?

Thanks!

Edited by Richard Fairbanks

• 1 month later...

Tested, without issue.

Not following on the Tool Options/Pick/Attributes issue.  Seems that is something that would be controlled by the "Select By Criteria" Palette not the "Tool Options/Pick/Attributes"

if this is what you are talking about, why would you want to select by all materials... wouldn't that just be a select all?

Not entirely following you here...

CMD+A or CTRL+A is Select ALL and in FormZ it has ALWAYS selected everything that wasn't Ghosted or had it's layer turned off, even if it was out of sight of your current view.  Are you sure you aren't remembering this from another program?

Also, if you'd like to select all objects by a specific Material, you can do this 2 ways.  1- Right Click on the object and use "Select All with Same Material"   2- Right Click on the material you'd like to find all the objects assigned to it and use "Select Object/Faces Assigned Material 1" where Material 1 is the name of said material.

Justin

I use this material selection method quite often but it is worth noting to others out there that there is one limitation.  Obviously when your object has several materials assigned to it the program ignores it.    Hopefully in V9 the program can capture these objects as well.

20 hours ago, Andrew West said:

Justin

I use this material selection method quite often but it is worth noting to others out there that there is one limitation.  Obviously when your object has several materials assigned to it the program ignores it.    Hopefully in V9 the program can capture these objects as well.

I agree, this is limited when an object is assigned 1 overall material ( as is default), and then we manually assign some of the faces other materials.  Then, trying to use the  "Select Object/Faces Assigned Material 1"  will select faces with other materials, but only the object of the original default material.  Its almost as though, once an object has faces assigned a second material, then the object's other faces should become selectable in the same way without the 'object' selection overriding as it does currently.

Greetings, folks!

Sorry to take so long to respond; busy week.

There was some (still unresolved) corruption in the file. Here’s a small snippet of my discussion with form•Z Support:

> The reason all of your objects are being edited together is because
 > you've put them into a Group. The entire group is now the "object"
 > that you're affecting. If you want to modify individual objects in
 > this group, go to Edit > Unlock Groups.

“Unlock Groups” is already selected/checked (as is “Unlock Components”).

--> UPDATE: After toggling the two “Unlock” menu items, MULTIPLE TIMES, I typed the above. I then decided it would be best to make two screen shots to send to you, showing that whether the menu items were checked or not made no difference in the Layers and Objects palettes, I went back into form•Z and selected the one item. It, and only it, was now properly selected!

Edited by Richard Fairbanks

• 2 weeks later...

I always work with Groups Unlocked and I often have this same issue.  After some unpleasant unintended consequences I have actually stopped using Select All entirely.  Now I zoom out and rectangle select as an alternate way of selecting all visible.   I think this issue needs some looking into.  I'm on Mac, OS 10.11.6.