AutoDesSys Forums
johnalexander1571

Will a solid state drive speed up saving large files?

HI all,

I am having tremendously long wait times saving on Windows 10 64. Yes my files are over a gig, and I do build them according to Paul's old guidelines. I have never had a solid state drive before. Would adding this to my machine this speed up saving files to a folder stored on the desktop for working?

Thanks,

John A

Annotation 2019-07-26 104737.png

The Read/Write speeds of a solid-state drive are usually going to be higher than RW speeds on a hard drive. In theory, this should reduce your loading times!

That's a big FMZ file, but SSD will absolutely help, especially if it is a m2 pcie based SSD stick.  Much faster than the SATA based SSD.

One other important thing to check, FormZ IMHO has many poorly chosen default settings.  Two of the worst that will greatly affect your saving speed are under the File settings where it defaults to Keep Textures and the slider toward Smaller files (aka Compression).  Both of these are absurd to have as default.  Unselect Keep Textures, and move the slider toward Open Fast (aka Save Fast).  Let us know if your save times are improved.

Hi Justin,

I think that helped make it faster once the save progress bar starts. I am getting a long delay before the progress bar even starts. About as long as the progress bar takes. It almost seems as if it is saving somewhere else and then saving the file into the required directory. What is it doing before the progress bar starts?

Hard to say, but the delay could be due to the spinning hard drive getting up to speed.  

Actually the reason why it takes a while prior to the progress bar is because it's preparing to save. Putting everything together prior to saving. The bigger the file, the worse it is. Also, I've noticed that if the file has been worked on for many days, the slower it is to save. If you actually copied everything to a fresh empty file, the first few times it saves it will be leaps and bounds faster.

13 hours ago, allanjl said:

Actually the reason why it takes a while prior to the progress bar is because it's preparing to save. Putting everything together prior to saving. The bigger the file, the worse it is. Also, I've noticed that if the file has been worked on for many days, the slower it is to save. If you actually copied everything to a fresh empty file, the first few times it saves it will be leaps and bounds faster.

this doesn't make sense to me... in theory if you work on a file (any file/format) for 2 days or 200 days, if the file size stays the same then read/write speeds (and if everything else on the computer is unchanged) should remain constant?  right?  or do you think this is specific to formZ and there's an optimization issue with saves/re-writes?

I believe that formZ didn't used to do this. I was away for a while and came back. I am using formZ all day every day now and noticing this drag. I was suspicious that it was calculating the save and then checking the drive directory to see if there is enough room before actually writing. This is a wild ass guess, what would be called speculation.

I now suspect this has to with formZ saving the shaded work or full image that is being displayed at the moment of saving. My save times have inexplicably gotten shorter though, even for larger files. I wonder if my machine was doing things in the background when I was seeing the trouble.

We can speculate all day, but without AutoDesSys chiming in, it's unlikely we'll ever know for sure.  

I can say though that if you setup your defaults as I've described above, and save those as part of your Template for new projects, you'll always have fast NEW files.