AutoDesSys

Model no responding to Reshape

Last night I had a problem with part of a model that would not respond to the Reshape tool. I tried Object and Project Doctor but could not find anything wrong with it. So I sent it to Tech Support.

I had an almost immediate reply with this work around...........

"What I've done is selected all of the faces on the object and used the Derive Faces tool on it. It basically split it up into ~20 objects, which I then used the Join tool to stitch back together. At this point it was essentially the exact same shape, but I still used the Object Doctor to fix any strange geometry."

Great response from tech Support and this worked ok.. However, I also found I could cure the problem by exporting it as a STEP model and then reimporting it into FormZ.  I suspect the problem may be that the model ended up being composed of faces rather than solids, although the Attribute menu stated it was a solid. Exporting it as a STEP rebuilt it into a solid.

Useful work arounds for anyone with similar problems.

I often have the same problem.  I find it ironic that the very thing I hate about Sketchup models has been introduced into Form.z with the Reshape Tool.   Namely that it allows for the creation of non planar geometry and missing geometry.  I am not sure why all of a sudden the reshape tool no longer works but it is often a case of my working quickly on a model and then something random happens.  If you explore the attributes of the object in question you might find that it is suddenly an open shape or non planar.  Thankfully there are a lot of work arounds.

The other thing I hate about Sketchup as well is the fact that people constantly build geometry from faces of existing geometry, which is also a Reshape issue.  Once everything is attached to each other it makes it very difficult to both texture map and to modify.  Things get messy in a hurry. 

Same happens to me.  It's actually very useful as it is a "canary in the coal mine" for problem objects.  If an object won't reshape, I know I've done something to damage the object.  It gives me an opportunity to find and repair the issues.

Thanks for posting this solution from the support team, happens here too often. But in most cases i got it fixed by calling the Object Doctor. In my case the problem gets visible when the insert new line tool on a shape doesn't work and the inserted line stays selected.