AutoDesSys Forums

Could you help me to understand what you mean by "have default naming be the name?" What should the name default to instead in your opinion?

If you look at the image below, I just created a new project material by dragging "Brick 8" from the library onto the materials palette. As soon as I did that I would like the material name to automatically update to "Brick 8" rather than remain as "Material 6."

Screen Shot 2019-07-15 at 1.58.20 PM.png

Posted (edited)

Agree, having it carry the material name carry to the material palette would be very handy.

Edited by allanjl

+1

and...

I really would like to see that FZ maintains the size of Materials, generics or textured, and not apply the default size when you copy and paste to a New Project or from one project to an other or when you import through Add To Project, etc...

Thanks for listening!... and thank you ADS for this such great tool!

I have always wanted a 3D program that would be able to import the maps with the name I already assigned them in Photoshop.

This would be a real time saver when I have an object with multiple maps.

For example a carton with; DCD1234 Drill front, DCD1234 Drill back, DCD1234 Drill top, DCD1234 Drill bottom, DCD1234 Drill left side, DCD1234 Drill right side

Right now I tend to use copy and paste but having the maps come in already named would be terrific.

Temporary workaround for that is to use your maps as billboards, the image names come in exactly in the materials palette..

Then delete the billboards and edit the imported materials to suit.

Des

FZnoob -

We have an awesome FormZ user, Chris Lund, who wrote a nifty script called MIMI (Multi Image Map Importer) that will import your selected image files and name the new materials after the File names!  Check it out - 

We could probably use an updated version that works better with Shaded and VRay, but this is still a huge help and Chris deserves some respect for giving us his time to create such a useful script.  Hopefully when V9 comes out, we can finally get an updated SDK that Chris and others can use to help bring these sort of add-ons to FormZ.

Justin,

Thank you for the Props!  Though, truth be told, I mostly write things to make my life easier.  Beyond that, it is no skin off my back to give them away.

I fully intend to update MIMI as well as some of my other scripts (ones that haven't been supplanted by better options) when the SDK is available.  As I understand, will come with V9.  Though scripting may come later, not sure.  I put in for the Beta, so hopefully I will be able to get on this soon.  I do not use VRAY, so don't know what I can do to integrate it better there.  Once I get the base script running, I could ask for a temp license. ?  Capabilities will also depend on what the SDK offers.  I suspect and hope that it won't be less than the previous SDK. Should this be the case, exciting times to come.

Am no longer using fZ professionally, though I still use it for my personal projects and internal design projects for our manufacturing business.  I do more programming now than ever, so I am excited to add to fZ for the mere fun of it.  

If there are other ideas that I can add to MIMI or my other scripts or for that matter, new scripts should they be small/easy ones, I am open for.   Too, should an idea have value to me, I will attempt those as well.

Cheers!

¢£