AutoDesSys

Glass Opaque when using Alpha Channel Background in RenderZone

Spannerhead

I have asked this question before a while back, maybe more than twenty years ago.  As I can remember what ztech answered was that glass shader in renderzone was not support alpha.  You might need to change to generic shader, and play with the setting to make it looks like glass.

Did you send this into tech support. The only solution I came up with is to use Metal Accurate or Generic as Reflection with Simple Transparency. Made all lights Hard in case you wanted to cast shadows.Not a great solution but may work for you.

While I have not used Renderzone now for years since Maxwell and Vray came out I still remember the good old solution that I used to use.  This is really quite simple.

Create a solid 1/2" thick plane.  Use material Glass Accurate in the  reflections channel.  Within the Reflection channel set reflection to 90%.  Set the transparency to 0.  Leave the other settings alone.

Then below the Reflection channel you have your transparency channel.  Open that and set it to your desired amount.  I use 85% for most windows. 

Make sure you to to your glass objects and turn off shadow casting and shadow receiving. 

Now go to your Display Options palette and under Renderzone options go to Scene and change your background tab to Alpha Channel. 

Now export out your renderzone image as a TIFF file.  Open it in Photoshop and under your Channels tab you will see your alpha channel. 

Does that do what you want it to? 

Andrew

PS. For those of you who might say that I am  creating a double transparency object I say so what.  It has never given me any issues over 30 years.  

• 7 months later...
On 6/30/2019 at 2:43 PM, Andrew West said:

While I have not used Renderzone now for years since Maxwell and Vray came out I still remember the good old solution that I used to use.  This is really quite simple.

Create a solid 1/2" thick plane.  Use material Glass Accurate in the  reflections channel.  Within the Reflection channel set reflection to 90%.  Set the transparency to 0.  Leave the other settings alone.

Then below the Reflection channel you have your transparency channel.  Open that and set it to your desired amount.  I use 85% for most windows. 

Make sure you to to your glass objects and turn off shadow casting and shadow receiving. 

Now go to your Display Options palette and under Renderzone options go to Scene and change your background tab to Alpha Channel. 

Now export out your renderzone image as a TIFF file.  Open it in Photoshop and under your Channels tab you will see your alpha channel. 

Does that do what you want it to? 

Andrew

PS. For those of you who might say that I am  creating a double transparency object I say so what.  It has never given me any issues over 30 years.  

A (very) belated thank you.  I've used this approach a couple of times now and while 1) it takes much longer to render and 2) it takes some adjustment depending on the application, it works quite well.  Thanks again!