AutoDesSys

Weird component behaviour

sjj

Hi All,

I'm trying to use the component system and I was hoping someone could shed some light on some behaviour. I've created 2 components (test1 and test2) and placed 3 copies of each in the scene.

When I move an instance of test2 it moves as expected to the new location. If I try to move test1 it moves all 3 of the copies? Is this just BUGGY behaviour or am i missing something again?

Cheers

SJJ

Update: I'd say bugs a plenty Formz has crashed again and again

Edited by sjj

Let me give you an advise: forget about component system in FormZ. It is a total mess. I tried to sort it out on on pretty complex project which resulted total rebuild of all component related modeling. Neither forum nor Support where of help since component system is faulty by design. Alas! 

• 2 weeks later...

In my experience, components work well as a library and can even be organised at file system level. In FormZ I first make a group of what I am making a component of. When bringing a component into a file, I explode it to leave as a group which is a safer situation. Agree with AHTOH too risky to use components active in a model in case unexpected changes occur. By the way, I only very occasionally get crashes in FormZ but that is because I work in a routine to get my work done which doesn't use all its features, and you do learn to predict what is risky to the stability of the program, and 'save as' before taking a risk. Persevere because FormZ has a lot to offer and you can get work done more quickly with it than many other programs, if used carefully.

Edited by Alan Cooper
added info